• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta to offer Pittsburgh-to-Paris flight

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
ACL65 - why do you doubt Roswell? NWA operated a 757 between BDL-AMS. BDL is the perfect market for that since most in the BDL catchment area were driving to NY or BOS. The corporate contracts alone kept the biz class cabin full. Loads were good in the summer and OK in the winter/spring. Had fuel not done what it did, I bet the route would still be going.

They launched with the same backing from the city that PIT and RDU are providing. AMS is a far better connection point in Europe than CDG, though CDG is improving rapidly now that E and S3 and G are open.

I know it's hard for you DL guys to believe NWA might have actually known what the heck they were doing, but their JV with KL is the envy of the industry... so much so DL and AF wanted to join them... and have. Now they're one big happy family across the pond sharing revenue and passengers.

Ah dude, before you jump the gun I think he was agreeing. I've heard BDL and BOS to CDG.

I dunno... it's hard to read sarcasm here, but it seems as though he was going that route as if BDL-CDG was a joke. Maybe I'm wrong.

AF already flies BOS-CDG, so unless the JV wants to down gage equipment there is no reason for DL to start it... it wouldn't be "new." BDL-CDG though... why wouldn't they just bring back BDL-AMS unless DL is going to destroy what NW and KL worked so hard over the years to build across the Atlantic.

Still waiting on BOS-DUB/SNN. AA pulled out of BOS-SNN because they lost (you guessed it) 17 757s, the hand me down TWA ones that delta now has.

I dunno... it's hard to read sarcasm here, but it seems as though he was going that route as if BDL-CDG was a joke. Maybe I'm wrong.

AF already flies BOS-CDG, so unless the JV wants to down gage equipment there is no reason for DL to start it... it wouldn't be "new." BDL-CDG though... why wouldn't they just bring back BDL-AMS unless DL is going to destroy what NW and KL worked so hard over the years to build across the Atlantic.

Well see I guess but CDG is a much larger hub than AMS so we can expect most of the new routes through there IMO.

Seems like Delta wants to keep the seats out of the domestic supply so they are experimenting with non-hub point to point routes and sharing the risk with AF.

Beats parking the seats in the desert, but it seems there would be better routes such as BDL-CDG or even BUF-CVG and siphon off YYZ traffic from AC.

Either way, this is good for the Delta pilots so I hope it works out.

So, how long till Sky Team pal Air France takes over the flying to optomize "synergies" or whatever Ed Bastian blabbed about when a couple DAL flights out of JFK went to AF earlier this year?

Sure, just trust us, beats LBB, or whatever....

So, how long till Sky Team pal Air France takes over the flying to optomize "synergies" or whatever Ed Bastian blabbed about when a couple DAL flights out of JFK went to AF earlier this year?

Sure, just trust us, beats LBB, or whatever....

Some routes don't need 757ERs on them, and some don't need A332s or larger. The JFK to CDG route was being flown by one of our 757ERs because we didn't have larger equipment to put on it. So, Air France stepped in to put the right plane on it. When Air France pulls out of PHL soon, they will allow us to put a 757 on it, since they don't have anything smaller than the current A332 on the route. We will eventually have 16 or so extra flights to Paris, from a lot of cities that may not be able to support an A332, but might be successful with a 757ER. That doesn't mean we will only get those smaller planes in the future. We are getting more 777s and putting them on some ultra long haul flights ourselves, like ATL--Hong Kong nonstop coming up here, and probably LAX to SYD. Expect a few interesting new flights to Paris, from BWI and BDL for example. Lot's of new stuff. Also more Africa from Sal, Cape Verde, and a bunch of West Coast stuff too. Interesting indeed.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Last edited:

Of course, AF and KLM are really two parts of the same entity (the Air France/KLM Group). I really doubt that the new DL will destroy anything that NW and KLM built. The JV is now complete: DL/NW and AF/KLM. I expect we will be seeing much shifting of routes between DL and AF/KLM as the right equipment is put on the right routes. You know, that whole synergy thing.

I was agreeing with him. DAL-AF will right size their routes across the Atlantic. We will get some they will get some.
It is a good chance that if it is out of BOS we will get it. NWA did some good stuff out of there is the past. We got a huge terminal we might as well use it.

Too bad Delta's BOS terminal does not have customs. Maybe one can be built. I wonder if CAL will get the boot to NWA old gates?

The intl BOS flights could arrive at E and then tow the plane to A for departure. Kind of a pain, but there is no other solution until there is a customs facility in A.

Latest resources

Back