• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta to cut MEM by 25%, mostly RJs

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I was at United prior to Delta, with corporate in between during my furlough. RJs aren't financially smart for any feed when oil prices are really high, really over about $60 a barrel. And DC9s aren't viable either, and they are also being parked within the next 12-18 months. Try not to take any of that personally. If you are crying already about an actual article stating what I initially posted, then you are in for a tough road ahead. This industry is not easy, and I have had a long furlough to prove it.

OYS

So if RJs arent delivering feed, what is? The hub operations die without feed. Passengers hate props and they are willing to pay a premium to not fly on them. This marketing effect was well documented through the 90s and is the reason why we have so many RJs right now. Currently, the industry is going thorough a rationanalization of their RJ use but all indicators are that they will be around for a long time.

Currently, the industry is going thorough a rationanalization of their RJ use but all indicators are that they will be around for a long time.

What indicators are you talking about? Are you and RJloser buds or what? Nothing but talking up how good the 200's are.

So if RJs arent delivering feed, what is? The hub operations die without feed. Passengers hate props and they are willing to pay a premium to not fly on them. This marketing effect was well documented through the 90s and is the reason why we have so many RJs right now. Currently, the industry is going thorough a rationanalization of their RJ use but all indicators are that they will be around for a long time.

Why not cut the number of flights, and then just use mainline jets with more seats to cover the cost of fuel? If you put RJs up against an LCC airplane like a 717 or 737, WE LOSE. Cut 7 daily 50 seaters and add 3 MD88s or A319s. That works. Our CEO said in a recent meeting that 100 RJs and Saabs will be parked this year alone. That should say something about their costs. Who do you think you work for? Amtrack? We are getting rid of DC9s also, but we are also getting 60 more MD90s over the next two years. That should take up some slack, eh?

Bye Bye---General Lee

Why not cut the number of flights, and then just use mainline jets with more seats to cover the cost of fuel? If you put RJs up against an LCC airplane like a 717 or 737, WE LOSE. Cut 7 daily 50 seaters and add 3 MD88s or A319s. That works. Our CEO said in a recent meeting that 100 RJs and Saabs will be parked this year alone. That should say something about their costs. Who do you think you work for? Amtrack? We are getting rid of DC9s also, but we are also getting 60 more MD90s over the next two years. That should take up some slack, eh?

Bye Bye---General Lee

Oh, General, thanks for taking the time out of your hectic schedule to grace us with your presence. What exotic destination has Delta taken you to this week? Libya? Iran? Bosnia? I know I speak for all the other posters in the regional forum when I say we anxiously await your updates.

Why don't we REALLY hedge against the cost of fuel and put 777's on all the routes???? Why take 130 to TRI, CHA or CSG when we could take 250 people at once!!!! BRILLIANT IDEA, me! I should be management. At least I could make Gen cream his shorts! Yep....that's it! Triple sevens on EVERY FLIGHT! Heck, scratch that. New idea! Why waste a flight to GSP or CAE with only 250 seats............let's order some A380's and take 500 people! Now we are getting somewhere, here! We can really spread those fuel costs out now!

Pwew! Problem solved. Gen, get your bid in!

What indicators are you talking about? Are you and RJloser buds or what? Nothing but talking up how good the 200's are.

Not saying that they are great but they serve a very relevant purpose and that purpose does not go away with the price the fuel. So long as passengers are willing to pay a premium to fly on a jet (and they have proven that they will), turboprops will continue their decline and be relegated to niche markets.

Not saying that they are great but they serve a very relevant purpose and that purpose does not go away with the price the fuel. So long as passengers are willing to pay a premium to fly on a jet (and they have proven that they will), turboprops will continue their decline and be relegated to niche markets.

I couldn't agree more that they serve a relavent purpose. That purpose can be fulfilled with a very small fraction of the amount currently in use. That's the problem (or not, depending on your viewpoint).

I couldn't agree more that they serve a relavent purpose. That purpose can be fulfilled with a very small fraction of the amount currently in use. That's the problem (or not, depending on your viewpoint).

I also agree that the 50-seat RJ is overpopulated in the industry although reductions to the extent of a "small fraction" is probably overstated. In terms of DAL, there have already been steep reductions in the number of 50-seaters with another 60 to be removed this year. I'd bet that another 10% reduction looms after this year as well but IMO their fleet is getting pretty close to a rational level of small RJs. With the Saabs being permanently parked, the 50-seaters will be picking up whatever small cities wants to continue service into so that will extend their usefulness at DAL too.

Bye Bye---General Lee

How dare you come on FI and make sense...shame on you GL!!!;)

Latest resources

Back