• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta to cut MEM by 25%, mostly RJs

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'd say about 5-10 years from closing doors with steady decline until then. What's a few million bucks in transition costs to make a few hundred million until then? The execs have this all planned out and wont be blindsided or left out in the cold. It would behoove everyone else to see the writing on the wall so as to make a less painful exit.

This was my fear of working at an airline with 300+ outdated jets. They are becoming maintenance and fuel nightmares and will ultimately drive costs through the roof and render us uncompetitive and fodder for pull- downs. Don't look for any renewals of contracts based on our horrible performance which is almost entirely self-inflicted.

They're too busy witht the merger to worry about their bread and butter. Too bad when that work is done DL and UA will be sending the bulk of our fleet to the glue factory slowly but surely.

Look on the bright side, at least there will be plenty of new beer cans available to drink away our sorrows.

Some of you here on this thread were absolutely positive Skywest Inc. was buying ASA to shut the doors and take our planes.

What is similar now, that was then?

A contract to be negotiated and finalized, in a short term.

I have no doubt Delta is more than happy to help play the game for/with our management.

I can tell you that scope will not be relaxed again. It's been widely publicized that 50 seat jets are going away very soon. The only way they can eliminate the amount of 50 seat jets DAL is talking about is by breaking a contract with one of the DCI carriers. Ask yourself now that Mesa is out of DCI who is the weakest link? Comair has already bled to death. I feel sorry for all of my friends still at ASA, but from everything I'm hearing over here, it isn't looking good for you guys.

What exactly are you hearing? Only thing I've heard is the thread on airliners.net saying Delta is going to pull the performance card on Acey. Wouldn't be surprised but that is A LOT of flying to replace. OH one other thing, Jerry owns the leases to all the Delta gates on C & D. It would sure be interesting for Delta to start a gunfight with him on the eve of SWA coming into town. Tha more ya know!

It's funny to go on the APC board and read the "Comair updates" thread that dates back to 2007. Things were looking pretty good for them when that thread started.

Comair: "I'm alive, I'm alive, dead"

What exactly are you hearing? Only thing I've heard is the thread on airliners.net saying Delta is going to pull the performance card on Acey. Wouldn't be surprised but that is A LOT of flying to replace. OH one other thing, Jerry owns the leases to all the Delta gates on C & D. It would sure be interesting for Delta to start a gunfight with him on the eve of SWA coming into town. Tha more ya know!

Except for the fact that the gate lease agreement specifically states that if ASA (Skyw) no longer does flying for Delta, then those gates revert back to Delta. Apparently "Tha more ya know" does not apply to you?

Except for the fact that the gate lease agreement specifically states that if ASA (Skyw) no longer does flying for Delta, then those gates revert back to Delta. Apparently "Tha more ya know" does not apply to you?

If they cancel the 50 seat contract, ASA still flies for Delta. You're right though if Delta terminates the entire contract for 53 700/900s, and 98 200s, which would be entertaining(to say the least) to see how they sort out replacing their largest DCI carrier.

Last edited:
And not to mention we just became the second cheapest dci carrier. If looking to save money, why not go after the more expensive kids on the block? Delta has shown us before that they can get rid of an airline then shuffle the aircraft around.
Not wishing ill on anyone, just pondering.

Latest resources

Back