Delta surrenders more market share. yet again

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Ridgeback

http://www.pilotjobs.com/2009/10/gu...ansion-of-continental-connection-flights.html

Granted these were only a few point to point routes that were flown by Mesaba Saabs. However when you add up the 11 EAS cities won by Northwest, the 4 just lost to United, and the 4 about to be lost to United, thats 22 markets that Delta has, or soon will be pulling out of. I'm all for decreasing regional flying, but I doubt any of the DC9's could have made made it into these markets. But hey, those paying passengers that wanted to go to London, or New York...Well I guess United will take their money.

I find it disturbing that the worlds largest airline is shedding domestic (small) marketshare.

Hah! Delta sucks at giving up market share. What? A few EAS cities they got in a merger?

The Mighty AA gives away entire mainline cities--even entire hubs. What's the saying? "If you build it they will come." At American, it's: 'If you build it, we'll use it for a few years, declare it unprofitable, then turn it over to SWA.'

Once again, Delta can't measure up.:rolleyes:

TC

http://www.pilotjobs.com/2009/10/gu...ansion-of-continental-connection-flights.html

Granted these were only a few point to point routes that were flown by Mesaba Saabs. However when you add up the 11 EAS cities won by Northwest, the 4 just lost to United, and the 4 about to be lost to United, thats 22 markets that Delta has, or soon will be pulling out of. I'm all for decreasing regional flying, but I doubt any of the DC9's could have made made it into these markets. But hey, those paying passengers that wanted to go to London, or New York...Well I guess United will take their money.

I find it disturbing that the worlds largest airline is shedding domestic (small) marketshare.

Six to one, half dozen the other. Pull out of somewhere like STC who the heck are you losing the market share to? Their car?

EAS cities many times are money losing prospects. I'd much rather make money elsewhere....

There has to be a market, to have a share. If the yields cannot sustain the operation, what other choice is there? Historically, airlines have chosen to operate at a loss.

That is, and always has been (since deregulation), the airline industry's problem.

Skipper

Just heard from a buddy up in St. Cloud, MN that Mesaba is pulling out at the end of the year, and the town is trying to negotiate with Expressjet to fly as a United Express to ORD. What a great way to deal with 50 seaters, send them to small, out of the way towns.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Yup, all ten of them. :rolleyes:

Yup, all ten of them. :rolleyes:

O.K. That's 1/3 of what a Saab can carry. So what your telling me is that cities that yeild only 1/3 of their capacity should be cut. I'msure you would support the DC9 Mem-ORD flight I non-reved on last week with 38 passengers should be next?...What I thought.

Lets say 22 routes X 3 times/day=66 flights/day. I'll give you 50%full. 66 X 15=1000 X 2(round trip)= 2000 PAYING passengers per day, give or take a few. Let's see 60,000/month or 720,000 paying passengers /year at 50% loads.

I guess that's 720,000 passengers getting on American's planes and not yours...

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back