• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

9rj9

Dow Jones Business News
Delta Air Lines Announces Planned Fleet Changes To Reduce Cap
Tuesday February 10, 6:35 pm ET

ATLANTA -(Dow Jones)- Delta Air Lines Inc. (NYSE:DAL - News) plans to limit the size of its Boeing 777-200 fleet, as the nation's No. 3 carrier continues efforts to lower costs companywide and bolster its balance sheet.
ADVERTISEMENT

In a press release Tuesday, the airline said it plans to sell two Boeing 777- 200 aircraft scheduled for delivery in 2005, a transaction that would cut Delta's capital spending requirements by about $300 million through 2005.

Delta and Boeing have agreed to defer until the second half of 2005 delivery of these two aircraft, and Delta has struck a deal with an undisclosed third party to assist in the sale.

Additionally, Delta plans to either acquire other Boeing planes instead of three Boeing 777-200 aircraft scheduled for 2006 delivery, or to sell those three aircraft. The company hasn't identified which aircraft it would buy in lieu of the Boeing 777-200s.

The company noted that it intends to keep operating the eight Boeing 777-200 aircraft in its fleet and is "pleased" with their operational performance.

Last week, Delta put on hold its plans for a nationwide rollout of its low- cost airline, Song, as it determines whether pursuing the discount option makes financial sense. The carrier, which is seeking union wage concessions it says are needed to stay competitive, trimmed $1.2 billion from annual operating costs last year and is looking for another $1 billion in savings this year.

The company had cash of $2.9 billion at the end of 2003 but has about $12.5 billion in debt, of which about $1 billion matures this year.

What? Medflyer---you have NO CLUE again what you are talking about. First off, we are not parking or selling our current 8 777s, and we will probably buy something else with the proceeds. We know that 2005 will be a huge year with Capital expenses and debt maturities due---so the CFO is actually making sure we can afford it. Sounds good to me.....That is her Job. We are still taking all airplanes out of the desert (including 4 767-200s), and will start flying 767-400s to Europe---instead of just 767ERs and 777s. (like CO) But, I think it is smart to make sure we can pay what we need to pay---don't you? I haven't seen anything about cutting INTL routes---actually expanding them in May (CVG--AMS, FCO and extra ATL--MUC and LGW). Then we are also flying extra flights per week to Athens for the Olympics, and starting JFK--Santo Domingo and San Juan. Yeah, we sure are cutting back....

I think the CFO is watching everything carefully and cutting what needs to be cut in order for us to avoid worse things. I have also heard that we are coming up with new proposals possibly from our MEC---and that would help too. You are way too negative on Delta----lighten up a bit please.

Bye Bye--General Lee ;) :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Take a chill pill there General. No where in my post did I say DL was grounding the existing 777's. You made that up yourself.

Second, the expansion that you mentioned is all for this year and is covered by the existing fleet. But, how will DL expand internationally in 2005, 2006 and beyond? Those additional 777's were supposed to support that expansion, now they won't be there.

I just think that it is disappointing that with the economy recovering (as you have pointed out about a million times) that DL continues to cancel mainline deliveries.

I think the recovery is still in the beginning stage globally - but there will be better times to come. Europe ALWAYS lags the US economy. That being said, the 763s and 764s probably better fit the demand for the medium term. Why use expensive 777s when 763/4s would be more appropriate at this time?

I think this demonstrates that Delta is being more proactive about building profits and not just "wasting" money. Delta is not like Emirates or Qatari Airlines where they can waste away the Governments' money (sorry Typhoonpilot - tell me if you don't agree) and provide overcapacity - definitely the case with Qatari with its upcoming A380s...

By utilizing existing 777s as well as 763/4s better, Delta should be able to preserve its margins as Europe continues to recover... Why not cover existing debt maturities better when the need for 777 capacity does not yet exist?

I haven't seen many orders for 777s lately (Airbus continues to kick a$$ in the order department) - perhaps it won't be soooo difficult to secure some in a few years time when demand warrants incremental supply...

I agree with the General, this is exactly what should be done to keep costs in line. All of the majors should be looking at options like this rather than keeping the status quo while wasting time demanding concessions. Although Gerald still wants concessions in some form from the pilots, at least he is looking at other ways to keep costs down also. Seems like a smart move to me.

Medflyer,

I have taken your advice, and I just took a chill pill---or a Xanax....

Ok, I went to the source (ATL Chief Pilot Office) and asked them (via the phone) what was up. They said that we do want to trim those expenses for 2005---probably our toughest year in the future for payments---and this was one way to ensure it. I also asked about future flying, and they said the 767-400 will do more INTL flying (a bid today offered 20 new Capt slots and 20 FO slots for the 765--or the INTL 767-400 in ATL--a new catoagory)---including replacing a 767-300 DOM on the ATL--Lima, Peru flight. They also may start some Europe flying in the Summer, plus nonstop ATL and CVG to HNL. They also said that the four 767-200s returning from the desert probably will replace some of that DOM 764 flying, and that some of the LAX 765 guys will do a little more DOM flying instead of only Hawaii. Do I wish that we still would get the 777s for future INTL flying? Sure I do---but our management must be thinking of something else, and so far RJs can't fly nonstop to Europe from ATL.

PCL,

I agree, I think it is smart and I do think we will give some money to the company--probably in the low 20%'s---and some other benies. We will also PROBABLY give a little relief on 70 seaters, but that may be tied in with helping our furloughs.....I don't know.

Heavy Set,

Good analysis as always.

Bye Bye--General Lee;) :rolleyes:

General:

Most DCI carriers are more than willing to help with furloughees--have always been willing to help, as long as DALPA asked (nicely).

As I've said before, if DAL/DCI tried working together, this combination would be a $$ making monster, as well as a great place to work.

I know DAL/CMR have some friction, but I bet with some kind of agreement (more 70's, or help at the bargaining table from DALPA), a lot of wounds could be healed.

Just my thoughts (after 4 beers)......:D

Palerider957 said:
I know DAL/CMR have some friction, but I bet with some kind of agreement (more 70's, or help at the bargaining table from DALPA), a lot of wounds could be healed.

Dropping that frivelous RJDC lawsuit might help reduce some friction too. Just a thought.....

Palerider,

The Comair guys have not helped whatsoever. The ASA guys have, and even the Chataqua guys. That will be remembered. As far as the 70 seaters, I bet we will give some relief, and then we will see how the furloughs fit in. We cannot forget those pilots---I have not.

Bye Bye--General Lee :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back