• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta sells 777s

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Call it what is is - Jets for (er) Jobs?

Scope was at 105 seats when I hired in. The Delta MEC took it all the way back to 50 seats with the grandfathered 70 seaters that were already ordered. If the Delta MEC gives"relief" on 70 seat jets all the Delta MEC has accomplished is the ability to establish one way seniority rights at a different (much lower paying) airline. This is not a favor to ASA, or Chitauqua pilots.

If the Delta MEC wanted to do this right, they could push for a list merger. Anything else is an ALPA job grab, where jobs are given to ALPA's preferred members at the expense of Connection pilots.

Have any of you been following the final days of ALPA's representation of Allegheny?

None of this was what I was wanting to post about - what I wanted to know is the status of the MD11 and MD-88/90 fleet.

Regards,
~~~^~~~

Last edited:
PCL_128 said:
Dropping that frivelous RJDC lawsuit might help reduce some friction too. Just a thought.....
Sure, it would grease the skids so the Delta MEC could just take what they want without any external review.

By the way, Judge Glasser has already ruled the lawsuit is not frivolous - that is year old news. Discovery is beginning and in the interim ALPA is being very, very, nasty to the similarly situated Allegheny pilots. ALPA's actions on the US Air property provide a good illustration of how we could expect to be treated without the RJDC.

So tell us - at what point should the Delta MEC be restrained? Should I have to trust Delta management to defend us from our own union?

~~~^~~~ said:
So tell us - at what point should the Delta MEC be restrained? Should I have to trust Delta management to defend us from our own union?

Restrained from what? I have yet to have an RJDC supporter explain to me with facts and figures about how their career has been adversely affected by DALPA. Comair continues to hire pilots and expand. It seems to me that DCI is doing quite well. I fail to see what the DAL MEC needs to be restrained from doing.

Facts and figures? You have not seen the facts and figures? You have not been looking very hard ~ or you have only been looking at ALPA's publications.

Remember the Bilateral Scope Impact Committee? What have they reported regarding the impact of predatory scope? Nothing and nobody at ALPA has asked.

Here you go, glad you asked:

Scope analysis (one of many)

And here is another thread about the effect of predatory mainline bargaining tactics (with the assistance of ALPA National)

ALG Thread

~~~^~~~

Last edited:
~~~^~~~ and any others,

Topic is DCI / Delta mainline merger that you had a few threads up? Any ideas how to accomplished this?

Inquiring mind

Fins,

I won't get into it with you on the RJDC lawsuit. I still think PCL is right---you guys have gained a lot more since 9-11, and probably will get even more here shortly.

As far as the MD-11 fleet---we still own most of the 14, and I believe we either sold three to World Airways or are sub-leasing them 3. The other 11 are still in the desert and we are still paying daily lease rates on them. I had heard a rumor that Fedex and UPS offered us a very low ball offer for them, and we refused. We still own an MD-11 sim, and I believe we still use it to train MD-11 pilots in ATL.

I haven't heard anything about replacing the MD-88s or MD-90s---I think we were going to replace them with new 738s--but we obviously sold 11 future orders, so that might take awhile. No news on selling them early...

And, I think our evil MEC was in favor of you guys merging your lists (Comair/ASA). That would save a lot of money in V.P. costs--but now with USAir low balling everyone on the 70 seat rates, I think management will want to hold off and try to low ball you guys.....I hope that doesn't happen.

Bye Bye--General Lee;) :rolleyes:

Fins:

Unfortunately, I have to leave for a 4-day trip in a few minutes, so I won't be able to look at all that RJDC propaganda until next week. When I get back I'll be sure to look at all of the data and get back to you. :)

I think this demonstrates that Delta is being more proactive about building profits and not just "wasting" money. Delta is not like Emirates or Qatari Airlines where they can waste away the Governments' money (sorry Typhoonpilot - tell me if you don't agree) and provide overcapacity - definitely the case with Qatari with its upcoming A380s...

Sorry HeavySet I don't agree. The problem with airlines in the United States is that they have become too small minded. They fail to realize that revenue is the key to success. The more revenue you can get the better and the best way to optimize revenue is to fly big airplanes. Emirates can't get enough big airplanes to meet demand. They will report record profits this year and will pay a record profit share to the employees. Here are some loads for tomorrow, the 12th of February:

Dubai - London Heathrow 3 flights

Coach Business First

336/320 50/42 8/18
368/320 46/42 14/18
230/320 37/42 3/18

Dubai - Birmingham

264/251 27/27

Dubai - Bombay

212/183 40/42 11/18
368/320 45/42 18/18
377/320 43/42 8/18

Dubai - Cairo

275/236 54/49

Dubai - Hong Kong

351/304 48/49

Dubai - Tehran

278/251 27/27
274/251 32/27

So you can see that at what most would consider a slow time of year Emirates is flying with a better than 90% load factor. The smallest airplane they operate is an A330-200.

The other part of the equation is cargo and the big airplanes carry a lot of cargo which is a major portion of the airlines revenue. The 777 is a great airplane for cargo and smart airlines use it to optimize revenue on long haul routes with it's cargo capabilities.

The last time the government of the Dubai put money into Emirates was when it started in 1985, ever since then they have been on their own. They thrive in an environment of open skies with superior marketing ability, superior customer service, and a strategic geographical position.

I would agree that Qatar is throwing money at their airline because they are not near as successful as Emirates. But don't confuse the two. Emirates is a leader and Qatar is just a follower.

Typhoonpilot

Typhoonpilot,

Yes, I knew EK would be a stretch - I will restrict my example to Qatari only next time... You are definitely lucky to be associated with a great airline like EK - plus you get to fly a 777 - not a bad gig...

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back