• Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

JipWiz

Delta sells more planes as operations decline

By KELLY YAMANOUCHI
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Wednesday, March 04, 2009
As Delta Air Lines shrinks its operations, it sold 20 of its planes last year and has agreed to sell most of the Boeing 737-800 jets it has on order.
The sold aircraft include seven CRJ-100 regional jets, five Boeing 757-200s, four Airbus 320-200s and four DC-9-30s. Also sold were two Boeing 747-200 freighter airframes, which are aircraft without engines, and an Embraer 120 airframe, according to its annual report. The aircraft and airframes come from the fleets of Delta and its merger partner Northwest. Delta completed its acquisition of Northwest last October. The numbers don’t include Northwest’s aircraft sales before the merger.

http://projects.ajc.com/gallery/list/business/

The sale of the planes generated $123 million in proceeds, with a profit of $21 million.
Delta returned other aircraft to lessors, and nine of its aircraft are temporarily grounded or held for sale. While it removed planes from its fleet, Delta also added five Boeing 737-700s, four Boeing 757-200ERs and two Boeing 777-200LRs to its fleet.
Atlanta-based Delta reduced its fleet as it cut its capacity plans by 5 percent in the second half of 2008. The airline plans to cut its capacity by 6 percent to 8 percent this year.
Delta said it has agreements to sell 31 of the 33 Boeing 737-800 jets it has on order, which reduces its commitments by about $1.3 billion through 2011. The company excluded from its tables any orders inherited from Northwest for the new Boeing 787, saying that Boeing will be unable to meet the delivery schedule for the aircraft and Delta is “in discussions with Boeing regarding this situation.” Delta has indicated in the past that it may not keep all of the 787 orders.
The two freighter airframes come from Northwest’s fleet of 747 freighters. Northwest’s cargo operation is introducing Atlanta freighter service Wednesday with flights from Atlanta to Anchorage and onto Tokyo, Osaka and Shanghai.

I know the 738 orders were long gone... and im 99% sure on the rest.

Slow news day... the markets are up.

We sold an Embraer E120 airframe too? DAMNIT!!! NOOOOOOOO!! DAMNIT!!!!! NOOOOOOOO! I would have LOVED to fly that thing again in a special VIP interior--maybe shuttling execs between MSP and ATL.......

Bye Bye--General Lee

You can go back, Gulfstream has a bunch of your old props. ;)

Actually, they don't. The last few were sold to a couple of really shady Russian guys last fall; I see one down in PR every now and again too. I might have an old "paper tiger" if you're really hard up, though...

gator

I've seen some Gulfstream 120s ending in xxxAS down in FLL

Actually, they don't. The last few were sold to a couple of really shady Russian guys last fall; I see one down in PR every now and again too. I might have an old "paper tiger" if you're really hard up, though...

gator

To bad. Are they back to a all 1900 operator?

Latest resources

Back