• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta sees $800 Million profit for 2011

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
What bills aren't being paid right now? Are you talking about the BK? The creditors did lose some money, but not all of it (it was negotiated). Had DL gone Chap 7 and liquidated, those creditors may not have gotten anything at all. BTW, people and corporations in America are allowed to go BK. Let's hope you don't ever have to go through that personally or professionally.

Bye Bye---General Lee

$.07 on the dollar wasn't it?

I bet they walked away happy.

Rufkm, general-
You sound like my old RJ fo's who used to say the best raise they could get was an upgrade and they'd rather stay low paid in the right seat to stay "competitive" so they can get capt $$ later-
THEY QUALIFIED FOR FOOD STAMPS!
amazing

Personally moving to a more productive/responsible job doesn't mean your pilot group got a raise-
Amazing I'm explaining that to any major airline pilot
IMO all rates ought to be blended so the union is more unified and pilots don't get trapped into either the line of thinking you just got into- or trapped into doing a sort of flying they'd rather not do- but feel financially irresponsible not doing
Congrats on the solid profits delta-
Now, the same honest question I've asked on multiple threads for weeks- where is DALAPA on getting those well earned raises- and leapfrogging SWA-
The whole industry needs you to do that now that AA is in BK-
I'm honestly curious and will support you in any way we can

(does nobody feel like the AA bk is a bit of a crossroads for airline pilots in the US?-)

Wave,

Good question about Dalpa. HOPEFULLY they will negotiate for just what you said, leapfrogging your rates. A contract survey went out a couple months ago, and they did receive it back and of course they said "WE HEAR YOU LOUD AND CLEAR....." But, there are always competing interests. Some of the older FNWA pilots are thinking about their pensions (frozen, but still there), and they would take a smaller raise to keep them. The rest of us want a larger raise, to make up for loss of pensions and some lack of movement until the larger retirement rates start coming in a couple more years. We have heard that RA and the VP of flt ops have both said in public (or open meetings) that they want the contract to be done by the ammendable date (end of next year) or earlier, and that was followed by "the second round of consolidation may be on the way." They apparently don't want to be bothered by a contract and possible M&A activity all at the same time. Also, I was told RA has always had contracts finished by the ammendable date for the FNWA pilots while he was CEO of NWA (as told to me by a FNWA Capt). Does that mean they want us to have your rates for our 737s? I don't think so, but the best thing here is that DALPA actually has something else to worry about. There is an independent union drive going on at the same time, for a group called the DPA (Delta Pilot's Association). So far close to 4000 have signed up for a vote. There needs to be about 6500 to force a vote, and if the eventual TA isn't great, that could push the other union drive and force a vote, meaning ALPA could lose over $30 million a year in dues from Delta alone. That is helping push ALPA and DALPA into actually negotiating, which is good. Fingers crossed!

Bye Bye--General Lee

Excellent,
Still a good year away though- best guess?

$.07 on the dollar wasn't it?

I bet they walked away happy.

Actually it was higher thanks to the USAir attempt to merge with us. I would think it was a lot more than $.07 per dollar. What will it be when you guys go BK after attempting European and Hawaiian flights on your 737s? Good luck with that.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Excellent,
Still a good year away though- best guess?

They are negotiating right now the smaller stuff. We have had several TAs come out just recently improving recovery rights for FOs who get bumped off of trips for IOE or TOE (INTL theater quals), and a couple more that I can't remember now. So, they are working on it as we speak. Bigger stuff will probably be worked out closer to the end of next year. We get the last of our 4% raises on the 1st of next month from this last contract. (a 17% raise total over the last 4 years, negotiated during $130 a barrel oil after the merger).

Bye Bye---General Lee

Wave,

Good question about Dalpa. HOPEFULLY they will negotiate for just what you said, leapfrogging your rates. A contract survey went out a couple months ago, and they did receive it back and of course they said "WE HEAR YOU LOUD AND CLEAR....." But, there are always competing interests. Some of the older FNWA pilots are thinking about their pensions (frozen, but still there), and they would take a smaller raise to keep them. The rest of us want a larger raise, to make up for loss of pensions and some lack of movement until the larger retirement rates start coming in a couple more years. We have heard that RA and the VP of flt ops have both said in public (or open meetings) that they want the contract to be done by the ammendable date (end of next year) or earlier, and that was followed by "the second round of consolidation may be on the way." They apparently don't want to be bothered by a contract and possible M&A activity all at the same time. Also, I was told RA has always had contracts finished by the ammendable date for the FNWA pilots while he was CEO of NWA (as told to me by a FNWA Capt). Does that mean they want us to have your rates for our 737s? I don't think so, but the best thing here is that DALPA actually has something else to worry about. There is an independent union drive going on at the same time, for a group called the DPA (Delta Pilot's Association). So far close to 4000 have signed up for a vote. There needs to be about 6500 to force a vote, and if the eventual TA isn't great, that could push the other union drive and force a vote, meaning ALPA could lose over $30 million a year in dues from Delta alone. That is helping push ALPA and DALPA into actually negotiating, which is good. Fingers crossed!

Bye Bye--General Lee

Hope your right Gerbil. But judging by Song's history, you guys will cave. If you had such a good quarter (and you'd be the first to tell everyone that it was better than SWA's) then why wouldn't you DEMAND better rates on the 737 and even better rates for wide body jets? Your company made more money, so they can afford to pay a superior pilot who works for a better company a better wage right?

My crystal ball says you'll get a "raise" well below inflation and continue to trail SWA wages. The company will use AA's CH11 as leverage. You guys are weak, so you'll buy it hook, line, and sinker. They'll throw in a trinket or two to give you something to brag about (maybe your own van to the hotel). But at least you'll have better overnights as Song Capts make SWA FO money.

Hope your right Gerbil. But judging by Song's history, you guys will cave. If you had such a good quarter (and you'd be the first to tell everyone that it was better than SWA's) then why wouldn't you DEMAND better rates on the 737 and even better rates for wide body jets? Your company made more money, so they can afford to pay a superior pilot who works for a better company a better wage right?

My crystal ball says you'll get a "raise" well below inflation and continue to trail SWA wages. The company will use AA's CH11 as leverage. You guys are weak, so you'll buy it hook, line, and sinker. They'll throw in a trinket or two to give you something to brag about (maybe your own van to the hotel). But at least you'll have better overnights as Song Capts make SWA FO money.

DAM TANKY, you funny. I hope you're not right, but you're craaaazy!

Bye Bye---General Lee

I hope I'm not right either Genital, but you Song guys do have a history of lowering the bar. Let's hope you guys can grab a pair. I'm not confident though.

funny but true....

Here's to hoping GK doesn't TAKE some of your money or benefits during your next negotiations. Since he GAVE you the SLI with Airtran by "stressing some points" with that group, I have a feeling SWAPA would do whatever he says. Fingers crossed that you guys keep EVERYTHING that you currently have in the next contract.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Latest resources

Back