• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

General Lee

Delta projects $800 million annual profit Memphis Business Journal

Date: Wednesday, December 14, 2011, 9:33am CST
Delta expects to earn an $800 million profit in 2011, it said at its 2011 Investor Day conference in New York .

Delta Airlines expects to earn an $800 million profit in 2011, it said at its 2011 Investor Day conference in New York Wednesday morning.

The Atlanta-based airline said in the presentation, which it filed to the it will generate the profit despite a $3 billion, or 30 percent, rise in annual fuel costs, lingering weakness in the world’s biggest economies, the ongoing effects of the tsunami and earthquake in Japan and war and unrest in the Arab world.

The guidance sent Delta's shares slightly higher as the stock price gained 1.25 percent and was trading at $8.09 by late morning Wednesday.
Looking ahead, Delta expects slow but positive Gross Domestic Product growth, a recession in Europe, fuel prices to stay at historically high levels and capacity reductions of 2 to 3 percent to recover its fuel costs. It also expects corporate travel to rise 6 to 8 percent.

In 2012, domestic capacity will dip 1 to 2 percent, and Delta (NYSE: DAL) will focus on right-sizing and trying to gain the top position in New York through growth at LaGuardia and JFK. Transatlantic capacity should be down 7 to 8 percent, with cancellation of underperforming routes. Latin capacity will be flat to up 2 percent, the airline predicted, with growth in Brazil and Central America. Its Pacific capacity will be up 1 to 2 percent, with a return to pre-earthquake Japan capacity.

Bye Bye---General Lee

GENERAL CHEESE,

That's excellent news!!

Is all that profit on bags? Shouldn't this be in the "Cargo" section? Without bags Delta would never be able to make a profit!

Will Delta be able to pay back the creditors and employees they robbed a few years ago?

With $800,000,000 this year, will you get the 23% raise you're looking for?

It's amazing what you can do when you don't pay your pilots! Way to go Gerbil! Just think how much you guys will make when you take another round of pay cuts.

Thanks for lowering the bar Delta!

It's amazing what you can do when you don't pay your pilots! Way to go Gerbil! Just think how much you guys will make when you take another round of pay cuts.

Thanks for lowering the bar Delta!

I agree. All the vendors and individuals that lost money because of management and they brag about making money. I can make money to if I did not pay all my bills.

GENERAL CHEESE,

That's excellent news!!

Is all that profit on bags? Shouldn't this be in the "Cargo" section? Without bags Delta would never be able to make a profit!

Will Delta be able to pay back the creditors and employees they robbed a few years ago?

With $800,000,000 this year, will you get the 23% raise you're looking for?

I hope so, there are different ways to get raises, you know. You can go to Captain, (I can hold a few of them, but mainly in NYC or a plane I don't want to fly here in ATL), you can move up to a bigger aircraft (the 767-400 pays about $20 more an hour (with INTL override included), the 777 even more), or just base it off of the raise everyone gets (like 20% the first year of a new contract, or whatever).

So, if I decided to go to the 767-400 as an FO and fly more Europe, I would immediately get a raise, and then get another one if our contract is ammended. So, 23% is not out of the question at all. You guys have the 737 fleet, and then the smaller 717 fleet that pays a lot less thanks to the beating you put on those Airtran folks.

As far as the bag fees go, I don't know if that was included in the $800 million. Those bag fees may have gone towards paying down the debt, which is important. Last year we "made" about $1.1 billion in net profit, but the airline also paid down $2 billion in debt last year alone. I don't know how that works, but if they had decided NOT to pay any debt down last year, would that have meant a $3 billion + profit???

Bye Bye---General Lee

I agree. All the vendors and individuals that lost money because of management and they brag about making money. I can make money to if I did not pay all my bills.

What bills aren't being paid right now? Are you talking about the BK? The creditors did lose some money, but not all of it (it was negotiated). Had DL gone Chap 7 and liquidated, those creditors may not have gotten anything at all. BTW, people and corporations in America are allowed to go BK. Let's hope you don't ever have to go through that personally or professionally.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Rufkm, general-
You sound like my old RJ fo's who used to say the best raise they could get was an upgrade and they'd rather stay low paid in the right seat to stay "competitive" so they can get capt $$ later-
THEY QUALIFIED FOR FOOD STAMPS!
amazing

Personally moving to a more productive/responsible job doesn't mean your pilot group got a raise-
Amazing I'm explaining that to any major airline pilot
IMO all rates ought to be blended so the union is more unified and pilots don't get trapped into either the line of thinking you just got into- or trapped into doing a sort of flying they'd rather not do- but feel financially irresponsible not doing
Congrats on the solid profits delta-
Now, the same honest question I've asked on multiple threads for weeks- where is DALAPA on getting those well earned raises- and leapfrogging SWA-
The whole industry needs you to do that now that AA is in BK-
I'm honestly curious and will support you in any way we can

(does nobody feel like the AA bk is a bit of a crossroads for airline pilots in the US?-)

Last edited:
I hope so, there are different ways to get raises, you know. You can go to Captain, (I can hold a few of them, but mainly in NYC or a plane I don't want to fly here in ATL), you can move up to a bigger aircraft (the 767-400 pays about $20 more an hour (with INTL override included), the 777 even more), or just base it off of the raise everyone gets (like 20% the first year of a new contract, or whatever).

So, if I decided to go to the 767-400 as an FO and fly more Europe, I would immediately get a raise, and then get another one if our contract is ammended. So, 23% is not out of the question at all. You guys have the 737 fleet, and then the smaller 717 fleet that pays a lot less thanks to the beating you put on those Airtran folks.

As far as the bag fees go, I don't know if that was included in the $800 million. Those bag fees may have gone towards paying down the debt, which is important. Last year we "made" about $1.1 billion in net profit, but the airline also paid down $2 billion in debt last year alone. I don't know how that works, but if they had decided NOT to pay any debt down last year, would that have meant a $3 billion + profit???

Bye Bye---General Lee

Once again, "Do you think that DALPO will secure a 23% raise for the 737ng guys to get SWA rates?"

Actually, I belive your 747FO's get paid well less than our 737 guys. I believe your 777 Capts get paid the same as our Capts. But those are just facts, I am sure you're not interested in those pesky details, right?

New Contract!!!!!!!!!! LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!! When's that going to happen?

BTW, DAL was in business for 55 years before they went to Hawaii. We just need to figure out those "tracks" and "vnav" in the next 15 years!! That will be just fantasic. Maybe by then you can live upstairs in Momma's house!! That would be FANTASTIC!!!

Latest resources

Back