Delta Pilots Call For Strike Vote

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
gkrangers said:
No, thats why I asked the question. I know it was stupid to ask, because people are shunned for asking questions here. Educate me...how long does it take to actually go through the whole process from vote to strike?

Okay, I'm not going to shun you; I'll accept that you really don't know. Unfortunately, there's no good answer to your question. These things are governed by the Railway Labor Act in normal negotiations, however DL, NW, and others are currently under the jurisdiction of bankruptcy courts.

NW could strike tomorrow. Or not. Delta has not completed their vote yet. If and when either carrier's MEC calls a strike, management will seek injunctive relief -- and it could all end up on the fast track to the Supremes.

It wasn't that your question was stupid; it's just that nobody here, at this point, really cares about the travel plans of individual passengers. People are fighting for their professional lives at these airlines.

gkrangers said:
Heh, friend of mine is traveling on Song in April.

I know this stuff is unpredictable, but the soonest possible strike would be, say, mid April after the voting?

The arbitrators have to have a decision by April 15th, which is 45 days from today. They could give a ruling earlier, though. All they will rule on is whether or not Delta could THROW OUT OUR CONTRACT. If they do, we have no choice but to strike, since all of the protections of our contract, like merger protection, fragmentation protection, and the actual seniority list, would be non-existent.

Bye Bye--General Lee

gkrangers said:
how long does it take to actually go through the whole process from vote to strike?

On Monday, March 6 at 10:00 am, the strike ballot will open. The ballot will close on Tuesday, April 4 at 10:00 am. The Delta pilots will be ready to strike anytime after the votes are counted on April 4th if the contract is rejected.

Much of the mechanics to carry out are already in place. Once the voting is complete, due to the improved capabilities brought into the Delta Strike Committee since 2000, the MEC Chairman can pull the trigger on the strike with very short notice.

As far as a judicial injunction goes, Judge Beatty had previously stated in court that Federal Courts have no jurisdiction to intervene in a strike. I'm sure the current judge holds the same opinion. That's probably because the Norris-Laguardia Act specificly prevents Federal Courts from enjoining a strike. The RLA isn't a player, because not only is this not section six negotiations, but it is the RLA that management is attempting to circumvent in court by seeking a rejection of a legally binding contract governed by the RLA.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back