Delta Pilot on Youtube

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Googles,

Sour grapes? The vast majority of American pilots at Emirates came from one of those "unattainable" jobs back home. Emirates only hired regional pilots for a short while. Most here are ex united, nwa, delta, aa, etc.

And they've all had a chance to come home, but they'd rather stay in the sandbox?

[QUOTERemember that NWA was asked by the Japanese Govt to help start up flying out of Haneda after WWII. Then in 1976, they were asked by the Japanese Govt to move to Narita. Can they (now DL) have their Haneda slots and gates back? Huh? Their Govt seems to be aiding ANA and JAL, after NWA helped them many years ago, and moved to Narita too. (Along with LCCs getting slots at NRT, decreasing value of the slots as ANA and JAL get more at HND. The LCCs include Air Asia Japan, Jetstar Japan, and Skymark). Sounds like Govts can do whatever they want, even if it ain't fair. I guess you didn't learn that upon starting work in Japan....][/QUOTE]

Japanese not trustworthy?! Two words: Pearl Harbor.

And they've all had a chance to come home, but they'd rather stay in the sandbox?

Yes...i know for lots of americans the idea of living outside of the good ol' USA is unthinkable. Dubai is not perfect but there are lots of benefits to working for EK. A few

-you make a lot more money than most jobs back home
-upgrade in about 4 years
-route structure is fantastic
-good layovers (nice hotels, great destinations, etc)
-limo service to and from work
-42 days of vacation per year
-Interesting co-workers from about 150 different countries.
-Young attractive mostly cheerful flight attendants (15 of them per trip)
-Some people enjoy the adventure of being an Expatriate. It's an interesting life.

But going back home is a big draw. Nobody wants to live in Dubai forever. Maybe you will have a few ex EK pilots raising gear for you someday.

One thing I will say about Emirates is that I rarely fly with a crew I cannot stand. 99% of the guys have a good attitude and are competent.

Imagine being stuck next to First Officer (general) Lee for 16 hours? The 4 day interview process does a very good job weeding out those personalities that cause problems.

One thing I will say about Emirates is that I rarely fly with a crew I cannot stand. 99% of the guys have a good attitude and are competent..

I can say the very same about Delta. We don't hire "Top Guns," we hire great guys and gals you'd like to spend 3-4 days with, who also happen to be great pilots. This is the first airline (out of 3) that I can genuinely say this about.

So the DXB flight from HND is a bust? Doubt you will get an extra one, and I doubt the Japanese Govt would approve, since JAL doesn't even fly nonstop to LAX yet from HND.....

You sound bitter. That "ragged" 767 crew actually gets to go "home" while you go back to the Sandpit in your 777. No wonder. Even TP said he'd prefer starting over at DL than continue to stay at your airline. That should say something right there.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Total BS.

I challenge you to copy and paste where TP said he would prefer to start over at bottom of DL instead of stay at EK.

No games, no insults...just the facts please.

fv

The misinformation never stops with you general. I think TP said he is leaving for a promotion at an undisclosed carrier and he would recommend EK to any american looking for rapid career advancement. DXB-HND is not a bust. It's quite full. It's a fun trip as well. There is a huge amount of traffic between Sao Paulo and Japan.

Wonder why that 26 year captain seems so worried? If I was him I would be more worried about getting a good deal on some veneers but he seems pretty concerned with EK. Obviously he hasn't flown with you or he would know that EK doesn't pose any sort of competitive threat.

Misinformation? From TP on the "Etihad info" thread:

"There a quite a large number of Americans here at EK who are looking at going back to the USA if they can get hired. Many who have been captains for quite a few years. It's nice being a widebody captain, but at the end of the day living in your own country and QOL is more important to many.

Being an expat for a few years is quite easy. It's an adventure. You see and do many interesting things that you might never have been able to do in your home country. Over time though, and especially around the ten year mark, it isn't as much fun and you start yearning to get back home.

Of course everybody is different. Once that widebody captain box is ticked one's career fulfillment becomes less important and QOL comes to the fore.

TP"

When I stated the "DXB to HND" route must be a bust, that was referring to Varmit's assumption that EK could somehow get another HND slot to go to LAX. That won't happen, unless they swap the route on that same slot, and the Japanese are saying where each carrier can go. Even JAL doesn't yet fly HND to LAX, but Varmit must have been wasted when dreaming up that new route.

And I have no idea who that DL Capt is, but ALPA has been pressured lately by proposed in house unions at some airlines. Watching the Gulf carriers is important, and making sure we all play by the rules and don't get free subsidies like the EXIM bank deal, but ALPA may be guilty of rallying the troops a bit to keep them relevant.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Last edited:
General,

You are like a politician. Always distorting the facts, changing the topic when someone points out that you are wrong, ignoring information when it doesn't suit your purpose, and sticking to cheesy slogans "good luck with that."

Nowhere in that quote you just posted did typhoon pilot say he wanted to quit EK to start over at the bottom of delta. I'm sure he's flattered that you follow his movements so closely. Here is an excerpt from his post last week. For obvious reasons you chose to ignore this one:

"In my time at Emirates I have been able to grow professionally far more than I would have at any carrier in the States. That is one of the reasons I have been such a big advocate of pilots from the States coming to EK. Most of them have been able to do the same. We have guys in their early 30s flying left seat in a B777/A330 worldwide. A few more senior ones have checked out on the A380. There have also been opportunities in training, recruiting, flight ops tech, etc that many have taken advantage of. Professional opportunities we just weren?t afforded in the seniority rat race that exists at U.S. legacies.

I am not leaving because I hate Emirates or that I hate Dubai, sorry if that disappoints anyone. It is a positive move both professionally and personally. "

Typhoonpilot

In 2001 I was in the NWA pool waiting on a class date when 9/11 happened. When that went away I stayed with my corporate job. A year or two later I got on with ATA - bankruptcy a few years later. By that stage I had a 2 year old, a 6 month old and a modest mortgage that I couldn't afford to pay for much longer. Ended up at EK because no-one else was hiring and at that stage in my life we couldn't afford another few years of first and second year wages.

Last edited:
General,

You are like a politician. Always distorting the facts, changing the topic when someone points out that you are wrong, ignoring information when it doesn't suit your purpose, and sticking to cheesy slogans "good luck with that."

Nowhere in that quote you just posted did typhoon pilot say he wanted to quit EK to start over at the bottom of delta. I'm sure he's flattered that you follow his movements so closely. Here is an excerpt from his post last week. For obvious reasons you chose to ignore this one:

"In my time at Emirates I have been able to grow professionally far more than I would have at any carrier in the States. That is one of the reasons I have been such a big advocate of pilots from the States coming to EK. Most of them have been able to do the same. We have guys in their early 30s flying left seat in a B777/A330 worldwide. A few more senior ones have checked out on the A380. There have also been opportunities in training, recruiting, flight ops tech, etc that many have taken advantage of. Professional opportunities we just weren?t afforded in the seniority rat race that exists at U.S. legacies.

I am not leaving because I hate Emirates or that I hate Dubai, sorry if that disappoints anyone. It is a positive move both professionally and personally. "

Typhoonpilot

Green,

My post from TP was prior to this one, meaning probably more true to what he meant. After reading other guys posts and not wanting to cloud up their possible dreams, he became more diplomatic and posted your post. A senior 777 Capt, and leaving. The post I posted seemed very plausible. Good aye.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Latest resources

Back