Delta/NWA pass travel questions

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

propdog

How about some useful info. apart from the daily scheduled merger bitching!!

From a new DAL (ex-NWA) pilot, I have some questions on our new pass travel (I already tried the search function-could not get all the answers-especially parent travel):

1. How does pass travel work for parent's of married employees? (Do they get a certain number of international and domestic travel days? Are they free? Can parents go beyond the allocated allotments for an additional fee? )

2. How many domestic and international buddy passes do you get per year. How much do they cost?

3. Do you have to pay a yearly fee for pass travel?

4. How about the spouse and kids-do they get a certain amount of 'travel days' or is it unlimited? Can you exceed you allotments for an extra fee?

5. Finally, what is the definition of a 'travel day'?
(For example, on a through flight from MSP-NRT-SIN; even though your final destination is SIN, will it be considered two travel days because your connection departs on a different calender day?)

Thanks for the answers.

1. How does pass travel work for parent's of married employees? (Do they get a certain number of international and domestic travel days?

I believe they get 18 "flight days" a year, and that can apply to either domestic or international segments.

Are they free?
Domestic is free. International costs $75 per person, per flight day.

Can parents go beyond the allocated allotments for an additional fee?
No.

2. How many domestic and international buddy passes do you get per year. How much do they cost?
You have unlimited flight days for S3 priority, which is "normal" priority. You also get six S2 flight days a year, which is a higher priority. You kind of get a feel for when to use S2 versus S3, though it is never an exact science. Domestic flight days are free, and no charge if you get a first class seat. You don't have to pay the $75 international fee like your parents do, but you will see a payroll deduction for taxes and fees, which still must be paid.

3. Do you have to pay a yearly fee for pass travel?
Until last year, the answer was no. However, since last year we have a $50 annual fee--but that covers your entire family, parents included.

4. How about the spouse and kids-do they get a certain amount of 'travel days' or is it unlimited? Can you exceed you allotments for an extra fee?
Unlimited for spouse and dependent kids. There is no exceeding for S3s, since they are unlimited. You can not exceed your S2 allotments. In fact you can pay a hefty fine and face the loss of pass privileges for trying to exceed your S2 allotments.

(For example, on a through flight from MSP-NRT-SIN; even though your final destination is SIN, will it be considered two travel days because your connection departs on a different calender day?)

Thanks for the answers.[/QUOTE]

I think it is the first (only one flight day) but am not totally sure.

All in all, I find the DAL nonrev system to be pretty good, and very fair. The TravelNet website is very user-friendly and the kiosks work well.

Welcome to the newer, bigger, DAL!

Last edited:
Thanks for the informative reply. All in all....looks pretty good. I recently non-revved on DAL from NRT-ATL after finishing a trip here in NRT. "Ya'll" treated me really nice in spite of all the seniority bickering here in flightinfo!! Thanks.

Would ANY of you like to hear my opinion on the SLI????? Just jokin....:)

Bye Bye--General Lee

You get 8 buddy passes a year. Price depends on the mileage. We also have a Family Fares program which is 20% off for a confirmed seat (employee, spouse, children, or parents).

You get 8 buddy passes a year. Price depends on the mileage. We also have a Family Fares program which is 20% off for a confirmed seat (employee, spouse, children, or parents).

What he said! I misunderstood your original question. To summarize...

1.The employee, wife, and dependent kids get unlimited S3s, and six S2s per year.

2. The parents get 18 flight days a year, with a lower priority than employees and dependents.

3. The employee gets only 8 buddy passes a year, and they do have a reduced fare. However, there are plenty of times I tell people not to bother with buddy passes (like summer and holidays). Buddy passes may be a good deal, but often times it may be more advantageous to buy a cheap fare with plenty of advanced notice--with those at least you get a guaranteed seat!

Thanks for the answers.

Travel day is from 12:00am to 11:59pm. You can fly as often as you like in that time frame and it counts as 1 travel day.

Answer would be yes; it's 2 travel days to the above quoted question.

Sure wish in laws could get something better than buddy passes.

The mileage rate for the yeild fare comes out to about 5 bucks for 100 miles. (Rough guess)

Latest resources

Back