Delta Jumpseat Question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

GlenQ

I was wondering if someone could help me out...

I'm trying to jumpseat from ATL to Prague. Do I NEED to buy a Zed/ID90 fare, or can I just jumpseat somehow?

I'm not with Delta, but US Airways Exress. I'm not looking for sensitive jumpseat info that shouldn't go public...I just don't want to show up at the ticket counter before the flight looking to jumpseat and then get denied if I was supposed to do something else like buy a ZedPass, since the rest of my travel is predicated on getting to Prague on Delta in the first place.

Thanks!

Short answer: no, you don't need to. You cannot occupy the actual jumpseat on int'l flights, but you can still "jumpseat." I've had difficulty finding ticket agents and gate agents in foreign countries who can verify my employment electronically. Prague is a new Delta station, they probably use contract workers there, and they might not be the most knowledgable folk. As long as you are in CASS, you should be ok, but I'd buy a zed/id90 here in the states as an insurance policy.

I'm not with Delta, but US Airways Exress.
Here's a good place to start...how about saying who you ACTUALLY work for. Your badge and paycheck do not say you work for US Airways Express. Your sidebar info says DHC-8...so you're with Piedmont or Mesa. Which is it? That means alot more in the grand scheme of "Can I Jumpseat?" than just "US Airways Express".

I'm not even a godd**ned pilot and this pisses me off about some of you low-time regional FO's. I mean...I work for SkyWest and, when I'm asking for a jumpseat, I don't tell the agent: "I work for United Express, er, I mean...Delta Connection, er, I mean...Midwest Connect."

I guess I'm just a little cranky and easily set off lately...sorry.

WHOA!!! calm down everybody, I don't appreciate being lumped in with "low-time f/os" or being Mesa, but I should have seen that coming I guess...let me explain that...

I'm with Piedmont...we're a wholly owned subsidiary of US Airways, and as such, when I jumpseat, it's the same as if I worked for mainline, i.e. my airline code is also "US". We're not differentiated.

I get in more trouble telling a ticket agent I'm with "Piedmont", when by the end of the conversation I have to waste time explaining how that doesn't actually matter and to just put me down as a "US Airways" employee afterall, cuz that's the only way it works...they're always just like, ok, why didn't you just say US Airways, and I roll my eyes and learn my lesson. I know I'm not US Airways, but to some gate agent who needs to find me in CASS, I am, according to their computer trying to pull up my picture, so I didn't think it mattered.

Sorry if I've upset anyone, and thanks for the heads up about the new ops in PRG. I think there are less hostile way of asking for carification on that.

Last edited:
Short answer: no, you don't need to. You cannot occupy the actual jumpseat on int'l flights, but you can still "jumpseat." I've had difficulty finding ticket agents and gate agents in foreign countries who can verify my employment electronically. Prague is a new Delta station, they probably use contract workers there, and they might not be the most knowledgable folk. As long as you are in CASS, you should be ok, but I'd buy a zed/id90 here in the states as an insurance policy.

I was hoping to not have to plunk down that cash for the ticket if all I would need to do was jumpseat, but point taken.

All I have to worry about actually are the Atlanta agents, as I am not returning to the US on Delta or through Prague. Do you think the Atlanta agents are also as clueless, or are they pretty up to speed on those kind of things? I remember jumpseating home from Madrid on Continental and I actually was surprized at how smooth it went, but I have limited experience with Delta and Atlanta.

I'm all about hostility these days. It's kinda fun.

Most Captains appreciate an assertive dispatcher. You will get more rides by starting with "I have the jumpseat, today", than "I'm a dispatcher from 'so-and-so', can I pleeze have a ride home?" After all, the Dispatcher is the "Captain on the Ground".

Try it.

actually piedmont, and I believe PSA, Pilots' badges actually do say usairways express and do not mention the name of the regional. The only people who might even notice the slight difference from the mainline badges are Airways people. And yes, mentioning our "real" airline does tend to make an agent's head explode...

actually piedmont, and I believe PSA, Pilots' badges actually do say usairways express and do not mention the name of the regional. The only people who might even notice the slight difference from the mainline badges are Airways people. And yes, mentioning our "real" airline does tend to make an agent's head explode...

hey, let me know how CQ went

Latest resources

Back