Delta Jumpseat from NRT?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

felixpuppy

Could anybody give me a heads up on the procedure for off-line jumpseating on Delta from NRT back to the U.S.? Is there anything specifically different or is it pretty much the same as here in the states?

Thanks a lot.

I jumpseat on DAL out of NRT from time to time. If in transit at NRT, go to their transit counter and ask for jump seat; you do not need to clear immig to get a jumpseat. If outside of immigration, go to ticket counter and do same. You'll be asked to pay a departure tax and they will give you a seat assignment (usually $30).

When boarding, it will be a harried crush so ask to place your bags somewhere and ask for the head purser. Introduce yourself politely and ask that you be allowed to approach the cockpit. Don't just take your seat in back. Make sure you go introduce yourself to the lead FA and cockpit crew!

Delta crew usually moves jumpseaters to FC, so I've been told, but 50% of the times I've been kicked back to coach even when letting the pilots know (and FC was wide open) that my assigned seat is in economy and FC is open. In my book, I don't make an issue of that as I'm getting a free ride, but I do make sure every jumpseater on my aircraft gets upgraded. That's part of my briefing to the FAs. So when discussing this with my DAL buddies, who often give me loads info before I show up for the flight, they are outraged when they learn FC was empty. They often call me up to see how the flight went and if I got on, etc. They then want to email the Captain directly as they claim that is not how they operate. But I don't escalate such things as it's the PICs call, not someone who wasn't even there. Like I said, it's a free ride so I'm just happy to get on. Last thing I want to be a part of is some interline jumpseat drama. I know a few pilots who've experienced the same "hit or miss" treatment about an upgrade. Again, it doesn't bother me as much as it bothers my DAL buddies.

All that said, the last DAL flight I J/S'd on was 100% full. Both the Captain and the FO went completely out of their way to try to get me a seat in FC and when nothing turned up they offered me the bunk. I kept telling them I'm fine with my coach seat, at least it was an aisle, but they insisted I was a guest on their airplane and that I sit in the bunk room (747). They were a class act. After. T/O, I crashed out for the entire flight. I needed that!

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back