• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta Had A Great Quarter

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You never know if you've made the right decision in this industry until the day you actually hang up your spurs. I've turned down SWA twice now, once in 00 and once while on furlough, I've just decided to ride Delta in. I'd be careful throwing stones though. You can have the envy of the industry contract one month July 2000 for Delta and be the goat another month.

As for the guy that spent 8 years at Delta and was never furloughed jumping ship to go to SWA, I have to ask why? I've heard of about 5 Delta 97 hires here in central Florida doing that but I don't understand it. 97/98 hires here at Delta could hold the left seat of the 737(express) within 18 months then when the big down bid came they went to the 767ER at a dollar less and hour and now are MD-88 Captains. So basically they've made 100K+ a year their entire career at Delta, not including probation year. So as a 2000 hire that spent almost 3 years on furlough I don't understand where they are coming from. I wish them well and I'll gladly move up another number.

Only time will tell. As for you Mr. Puffy. I know what your pay is and you're now where near what a SWA 12yr 737 Capt. makes. You're an angry man. What's up?

Only time will tell. As for you Mr. Puffy. I know what your pay is and you're now where near what a SWA 12yr 737 Capt. makes. You're an angry man. What's up?

Then you are not as smart as you think that you are. First, you are wrong, and I am making more in the years 2006, 2007, and 2008 than a SWA 12 yr captain. Second, there is no anger, anger has nothing to do with it. It is merely retorting the same old crap that continually gets rehashed, mostly by a few SWA newbies who think they have gotten it all figured out. They don't.

One other thing. In 2009, a SWA pilot has a chance to make more than me. That is provided that they do not go down in compensation, I do not move up to 767 international captain at 11 years ( I will hold it on the bid in November I predict), or neither if the domestic goes even further in the tubes, as it appears to be doing.

No anger, just pointing out reality. Why you so worried if I am so wrong. Funny thing about aviators, they worry more about what other people are getting more than they worry about themselves.

Bottom line. Quality of life is different for everyone. We all make choices in life based on the best information we have at the time and hope it works out. This bashing each other is a waste of time. Thuis industry is a crap shoot. Best of luck to all.

I believe he's adding the note and claim payout we negotiated for concessions. They maxed out the retirement for 2006-2008 (about $45,000/year) then gave the rest out in two lumps of taxable income. Adds up to a large 1040 for many. Defined benefit plan contribution (9%) now comes as regular income for 2007-08.

All rough numbers here and doesn't include the taxable portion of the claim/note (substantial amount for most) or profit sharing, but if you add it all up, $144/hr + $45,000 + $13000 (9% DB) for 2006-08, he's right.

Last edited:
I believe he's adding the note and claim payout we negotiated for concessions. They maxed out the retirement for 2006-2008 (about $45,000/year) then gave the rest out in two lumps of taxable income. Adds up to a large 1040 for many. Defined benefit plan contribution (9%) now comes as regular income for 2007-08.

All rough numbers here and doesn't include the taxable portion of the claim/note (substantial amount for most) or profit sharing, but if you add it all up, $144/hr + $45,000 + $13000 (9% DB) for 2006-08, he's right.

Boy for a couple of self-proclaimed:

There aren't a lot of us who can say they've been at both carriers. I'd say that makes us the experts on this bashing subject.

They sure couldn't figure it out, could they. It's actually more than that for '07 on your numbers due to the overage, massive overage, from the claim as well as the overage from the note.

Then, there are other ways in which some of us max out pay, yet maintain QOL. Hint: rolling thunder. I'm sure that they know what that is as well ;). '08 will include profit sharing as well as raise, as well as 7ER pay for anyone hired in '97 or before.

etc, etc, etc

Bottom line. Quality of life is different for everyone. We all make choices in life based on the best information we have at the time and hope it works out. This bashing each other is a waste of time. Thuis industry is a crap shoot. Best of luck to all.

Quality of life is important, and so is variety. If you pick trips and don't know where they go, only that they are worth "27 trips or hours", then that is sad. I love hearing from those ex military burned out pilots who say "it's just a layover, all I want is a beer." That really is too bad. Southwest does provide security and a good pay check currently. Their stews are great too.

I happen to like walking up to the gate and seeing "Vienna" or "Rio de Janiero" on the screen. If I get tired of that flying, I will go back to domestic or upgrade to Captain when I can hold something that I want. (soon 73N)

To each his own I guess. If he is happy, that is a good thing. And he is right, good luck to all of us.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Last edited:
Puff,

Hell no we couldn't figure it out cause we deal in real dollars.

You're counting a bankrupt court payout? That's fuzzy math at best. It's cash, I'll give you that, but it's a stretch.

I put the max in my 401k this year. The company is still matching my earnings up to 32k this year. That's almost 50k. On top of 190k base pay this year. I have stock options. I guess if I sell them this year I'll count that too. Should I use pretax $$ or after tax? Oh, and I got 10k back from uncle sam this year. I almost forgot the $16k in profit sharing. So following your logic I'll make $300k this year. Not bad for a junior captain.

Gup

Sorry for being late on this one....but...Thank gawd for $1bil in consessions or you Delta guys would be in the red.

Bye Bye-

Tanker Clown

p.s. maybe between Song and another round of concessions, Delta will make money next year too.

Latest resources

Back