Delta "Green Slip/Trip" pay...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ATLboeing

I've heard a little about the way Delta does open time pick-ups and something called "green" trips(?) and that these pay a little extra. Could one of you guys explain how this works and how you feel about that type of system?
Someone just brought up the idea of some sort of premium pay for picking up open time trips with regards to our next contract at AirTran. There seems to be arguments both ways on this type of stuff. Some say it's a good thing, and some think it will feed the "money hungry guys" and delay upgrades.
I'm not sure what to think, but I believe our NC has made this proposal in our contract talks.
How does it work and what do you guys think about it?
Thanks.

a white slip is for picking up trips at normal pay. these are awarded first. a green slip is a bit more rare, and typically involves a short callout. It pays double.
for a reserve guy, a green slip is awarded as pay on top of your monthly guarantee (70 hrs).
green slips are awarded most commonly during IROPS or when short staffed (like this summer).

So the green slips go mostly to reserve guys, but do sometimes appear in open time?

Last edited:
So the green slips go mostly to reserve guys, but do sometimes appear in open time?

No. It goes to the senior guys requesting an greenslip. Short this summer, been called almost everyday this month and last for greenslip/inverse assignment premium pay.

Gotcha, thanks for the info. At least reserve gets rewarded, somewhat. Here at AirTran it's just abuse, abuse, abuse.

Last edited:
Type: WS
Applies to: REG only
Pay:
•Pay and credit up to ALV+15
Obligation:
•Report within 3 hrs = proffer and same report as SC
•Same day = proffer
•Next day = obligated to fly
•Beyond next day = obligated, CS not required to notify

Type: YS
Applies to: RES only
Pay:
Pay and credit up to ALV+15 (X-days are forfeited). Can also lower RAW and volunteer for SC
Obligation:
•Report within 12 hrs = proffer.
•Report beyond 12 hrs = obligated

Type: GS
Applies to: REG and RES
Pay: • REG = (Double pay above ALV/75hrs.) Single pay and credit for that portion that brings him to the lesser of ALV/75hrs. Double pay, no credit for that portion that exceeds the lesser of ALV/75hrs. • RES = (On X-days – single pay above guarantee.) Single pay and credit for portion flown on on-call days (towards 70hrs). Single pay, no credit for portion flown on X-days or after credit = 70hrs (above guarantee.) X-days compensated.
Obligation: Obligated if he is notified and acknowledges. Always same day/next day

Type: GSWC
Pay: (Paid for both) Single pay and credit for removed rotation, single pay no credit for GSWC rotation.
Obligation: Same as GS

Type: IA
Applies to: REG and RES
Pay: •REG = (Double pay.) Double pay, no credit. •RES = (On X-days – single pay above guarantee.) Single pay and credit for portion flown on his on-call days (towards 70hrs.) Single pay, no credit for portion flown on his X-days (above guarantee.) X-days compensated.
Obligation: Not absolute (see WSC.)

Type: IAWC
Pay: (Paid for both.) Single pay and credit for removed rotation. Single pay, no credit for IAWC rotation.
Obligation: Same as IA.

I've heard a little about the way Delta does open time pick-ups and something called "green" trips(?) and that these pay a little extra. Could one of you guys explain how this works and how you feel about that type of system?
Someone just brought up the idea of some sort of premium pay for picking up open time trips with regards to our next contract at AirTran. There seems to be arguments both ways on this type of stuff. Some say it's a good thing, and some think it will feed the "money hungry guys" and delay upgrades.
I'm not sure what to think, but I believe our NC has made this proposal in our contract talks.
How does it work and what do you guys think about it?
Thanks.

As a former citrus slave labor, who is now at DL, here's what I think.

We didn't have long-call (defined by 12 hour callout at DL) at Tranny, and therefore all reserve pilots are by default on short-call while on duty. At DL, usually there are only a handful of unlucky few sitting short-call daily, so if there's IROP, chances of a g/w slip increases significantly. With airport standby reserve at Tranny, there's almost no need to award any g/w slip flying like we do, because usually there's some poor sod sitting by Popeye Chicken waiting for the phone to ring! The way we do the slips are by seniority, so reserve guys usually don't get offered GS. For those senior guys living in ATL at Tranny, they could hoard tons of extra cash from picking up slips on their days off. All it does is help the company by not needing to hire new pilots off the street, period.

I think first of all, you guys need to establish a long call, short call system like we do, and no airport standby. It is an absolutely crazy way of holding reserve pilots hostage. I think if you can at least obtain these contract items, your QOL for your junior pilots will increase significantly, especially with the amount of commuters.

I think first of all, you guys need to establish a long call, short call system like we do, and no airport standby. It is an absolutely crazy way of holding reserve pilots hostage. I think if you can at least obtain these contract items, your QOL for your junior pilots will increase significantly, especially with the amount of commuters.

No kidding... Even at ASA we have long call.

I remember post 911 a Delta 76 captain bragging about a $400k W2 after picking up every green slip he could for a year. Delta had the force majure in effect with guys on the street and this guy was flying a 120 hours a month in pay or more.

I remember post 911 a Delta 76 captain bragging about a $400k W2 after picking up every green slip he could for a year. Delta had the force majure in effect with guys on the street and this guy was flying a 120 hours a month in pay or more.

I wouldn't single out DAL for that. There's guys like that at every airline. I got called out while on reserve to do a ferry flight, and the CA was real senior on the airplane. I asked him how he wound up doing it, and he told me "well, I live by the airport, and if they need something done, they know they can call me".

I said "um, you know we got 900 guys on furlough, right?", and he said "I don't care about that".

It was a quiet ride after that...

Nu

Latest resources

Back