Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You fly runway heading

Hi!

The practical answer is you should always try and fly the actual track/path of the runway (unless instructed otherwise), even though the FARs are unclear.

cliff
GRB

WRONG....

Sure if you are taking off from an uncontrolled airport or you don't receive any instructions from ATC, then I would fly over the end of the runway.

Well you did say "Unless instructed otherwise"

Thats the KEY,

IF ATC tells you on takeoff to fly runway heading, then .....You fly runway heading.

Wouldn't that mean over inflated tires hydroplane at higher speeds?

"The lower the tire pressure, the lower the speed the hydroplane will occur"

Ex. Lets say your tire pressure is 100 kts. The formula 9 times the square root of the tire pressure (OK the ATP book uses 8.73 but lets just round to 9)would give you a hydroplane of (9 x 10 = 90 kts). So if you touch down at 110 kts you will hydroplane until you are below 90 kts.

At 90 kts, thats the point the tire pressure has sufficient force to move the fluid out of the way at the relative rate it is encountering it.

EX. Lets say your tire pressure is 81 kts. Thats a LOWER tire pressure. 9 x 9 = 81 kts. So if you touch down at 110 kts you will hydroplane until you are down to 81 kts not 90 kts like the previous example.

"The lower the tire pressure, the lower the speed the hydroplane will occur" - But it still hydroplanes greater than that speed, because the force of the tire pressure cannot move the relative fluid out the way until it gets down to a slower speed.

ALSO - Thats based on normal tire pressure. What happens when the tire is not properly inflated?

The more under-inflated the tire is, then the lower the tire to runway contact and the higher the chance of hydroplaning.

Here is a great article and some neat pics. Pay close attention to the color BLACK on the under inflated tire.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=3

Also, under-inflated tires give the tire a concave shape and traps water under the tire and assists the hydroplaning effect to a much lower speed. You could touch down at 120 kts and hydroplane until you are at your taxi speed.

Any body disagree, I could be wrong. It has happened at least once in my life. HA HA. Just Kidn.

The Gouge:
·What would cause the airplane to hydroplane the most? Answer: Under-inflated tires. The minimum speed at which dynamic hydroplaning begins is directly related to tire pressure.

Hail normally, because it is usually WET and surrounded by water which shows up as one big rain drop.

Directly from Aviation Weather
Although I don't know the answer DL wants, this question has been an interesting debate around the web boards....The manual from the WX radar in the aircraft I fly says hail and other frozen precipatation do not show up as well as rain. I think the DL question is taken from the ATP test and according to Gleim, the answer is rain.

Also consider that water E X P A N D S as it freezes. Ice is less dense than water. Ice floats.

But your explanation holds water also :)

Good luck.

Last edited:
Although I don't know the answer DL wants, this question has been an interesting debate around the web boards....The manual from the WX radar in the aircraft I fly says hail and other frozen precipitation do not show up as well as rain. I think the DL question is taken from the ATP test and according to Gleim, the answer is rain.

Also consider that water E X P A N D S as it freezes. Ice is less dense than water. Ice floats.

But your explanation holds water also :)

Good luck.

Thats interesting that GLEIM says that. Here is a quote from the Aviation Weather AC 00-6A.

Page 120: "Hail stones usually are covered with a film of water and, therefore, act as a huge water droplets giving the strongest of all echoes."

Regarding runway heading... If departing runway 24 and the published magnetic alignment is 242 then you do not necessarily fly heading 242. You take the runway, center your heading bug and fly that. Capt side might be 244 and FO might be 239. Just center the bug and go. Your AHARS might not be exactly in-line with the published runway heading or even the FO's heading indicator. Don't worry about the wind either.

Regarding runway heading... If departing runway 24 and the published magnetic alignment is 242 then you do not necessarily fly heading 242. You take the runway, center your heading bug and fly that. Capt side might be 244 and FO might be 239. Just center the bug and go. Your AHARS might not be exactly in-line with the published runway heading or even the FO's heading indicator. Don't worry about the wind either.

Agreed. Excellent Point.

Latest resources

Back