Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Midwest

SYXDUDE

"Midwest Express Airlines announced on April 10th, 2001 that the Boeing 717-200 aircraft had been selected to replace the aging fleet of DC-9-14/15/32 aircraft that it currently operated. The originally letter of intent was for 20 firm aircraft with 30 options, but was adjusted to the current order status of 25 firm aircraft with 25 options, with a value of approximately $750 million, which does not include the $14 million investment by the airline for seats, galleys and other required equipment. Midwests 717s will carry 88 passengers in the standard Midwest configuration of two-by-two leather seating."

My question to you is how much faster do you expect them to grow. I think that their current delivery rate is down to one aircraft every 3 months. Money doesn't grow on trees. They can only grow so quick, or they'll end up like some of the other airlines that tried growing to quickly.

Jetflyer one of the terms of the Delta contract is that they don't compete.

Wouldn't it be funny if 10-20 years from now Midwest Airlines was one of the top 10 airlines in the U.S. Companies grow, and Midwest Airlines will probably grow more than it would have with the help of Skyway's codeshare with Delta. Then Midwest could be one of the airlines that helps put the final nail in the coffin for Delta. Anything is possible.

I also think every airline in the U.S. and even international airlines that fly to the U.S. are competitors of Delta. It's all flying Delta COULD be doing.

When you make statements like that you make people wonder......And wonder and wonder.

ScRaM

I think a codeshare with northwest would be a nice idea.

ScRaMJeT said:
Midwest Express Airlines announced on April 10th, 2001 that the Boeing 717-200 aircraft had been selected to replace the aging fleet of DC-9-14/15/32 aircraft that it currently operated
Why did Midwest chose a mid-range plane? To cut training costs. It was easier to buy a plane that was in the same family as the DC9. In hinsight, they should've looked at the 737 and A318/319 airplanes. They have a longer range.

ScRaMJeT said:
The originally letter of intent was for 20 firm aircraft with 30 options, but was adjusted to the current order status of 25 firm aircraft with 25 options
Midwest will need to make a decision on the remaining options pretty soon. Boeing wants to close the 717 line. Also, Skyway has an "order" for 20 ERJ145's due in summer 2006. Time will tell if they are ever delivered.

ScRaMJeT said:
My question to you is how much faster do you expect them to grow.
The 5 year business plan indicates NO growth. They are playing ultra-conservative. Well, they are doing some growth but still not to the right places. Again, hindsight...

ScRaMJeT said:
I think a codeshare with northwest would be a nice idea.
Midwest used to have a codeshare with NW but it was dropped a year or more ago. I don't remember why.

Like I said, it's frustrating. Do an archive search in the MKE Journal-Sentinel. You'll see.

Just keep your eyes wide open.

Later

:D

SYXDude said:
Why did Midwest chose a mid-range plane? To cut training costs. It was easier to buy a plane that was in the same family as the DC9. In hindsight, they should've looked at the 737 and A318/319 airplanes. They have a longer range.
SYXDude said:
737's may have a longer range than the 717, but unless your going west of the continental divide, going down into south Florida or Houston, a 717HGW is just fine. When your just doing hub and spoke out of Milwaukee and Kansas city a 717 is a wise choice. When they are going beyone 2060NM, they have the good ol super 80's 2400NM's. I also read that AirTran Airways boss Joe Leonard, said and I quote "But the all-important seat-mile costs of the 717 are nearly half those of the regional jets"

http://www.boeing.com/commercial/717/717technical.html

Even though the Range of the A318 is 2850NM, the A318 is to cost prohibitive.

Midwest will need to make a decision on the remaining options pretty soon. Boeing wants to close the 717 line. Also, Skyway has an "order" for 20 ERJ145's due in summer 2006. Time will tell if they are ever delivered.

Where did you read that boeing wants to close the 717 line pretty soon? The June 9th 2004, issue of the Seattle post intelligencer says at a minimum 3 more years of 717 production. ERJ145's I think your behind the times, Jim Rankin has said on many occasions that the 40 to 50 seat market is over saturated and he wants to go with the ERJ170's. From Kansas city it can reach both coast.

The 5 year business plan indicates NO growth. They are playing ultra-conservative. Well, they are doing some growth but still not to the right places. Again, hindsight...

Hindsight what?..... It looks like to me there 5 year business plan is working as well as can be expected in these times. They're adding more planes, pilots are getting recalled, Midwest Connect is growing, what more can be expected.

I do my research

Latest resources

Back