• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta DOS

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
All lump sums were rolled over to individual IRA's. There is no provision to return IRA funds once they are deposited. Funds can be removed days with no penalty if replaced within 60 days. Over 60 days and you will pay income taxes on the amount withdrawn. I seriously doubt that people will want to give back their lump sum, only to be taxed at 30-45%, a double loss. Delta had no intention whatsoever to keep the pilots plan, they did everything they could to hasten the termination, including half truths and outright deceit. It was not due to the pilots leaving, it was Deltas underfunding. They could have stopped the resignations by guaranteeing the retirement, similar to what they did earlier for 35 of their executives. To return IRA funds once taken would require a massive change in ERISA, IRA, PBGC, etc rules. The lump sums are gone with the termination. If the law were "fine tuned" and allow for negotiation to eliminate the lump sum and go back to pre 1994 annuities retirement plan, then the fund would be in liquidity and the termination could be reversed. What you also have to remember is that once you retire ALPA considers you a "nonperson" worthy of no consideration. Even though they have the ability to assist in termination of the retirement plan and to modify our benefits, ALPA has no time for formers members who supported and paid dues for all those years, once you pay no dues, you are history. Nice organization, huh?

Its really comical how a retired guy who pulled up his ladder (or could have a lot earlier) HIJACKS A THREAD about future hiring and then complains that he has no say in the current BK-induced contract. It was partly due to the greed of your generation that led us into this mess.......where were you warbird during C2K?? Complaining about the organization, or burning down the house and padding your FAE?!?!?! Which was it?? I didn't see you guys jump to my defense when I spent 3 1/2 years on the street AS A FURLOUGHED FORMER DUES PAYING MEMBER while you greenslipped your way into retirement.

You guys and your lawsuits are the bloated, inverse of the RJ defense coalition.........and don't even tell me about how you BUILT Delta......REGULATION built Delta.....

Enjoy your S3b passes and let who's left at Delta decide OUR futures without your interference.......keep suing and maybe your lawyers will take what's left of your retirement.

How's that age 65 thing coming along???

Last edited:
Personally, I left only 3 months early. As for hijacking a future hiring thread, I answered comments on the contract and BK.
Suppose for a moment that no pilots flew green slips and 50 or 60 pilots were recalled, those guys gave up salary and FAE to get them back. Now what are those 50 -60 pilots going to do for those pilots who gave up that money? Pay them back? Give them free movie tickets? Pay for their health benefits? Don't make me laugh. Furlough is the pitts, I have been there, but where to you get the idea that pilots have to work under a substandard contract just to keep people from being furloughed? Furlough is a business decision made by management. The limitation of 75 hours/month because DAL had pilots on furlough, cost me and many other pilots over $175,000.00 and a good chuck of retirement money. Are the furloughed guys that return going to pay me or the other pilots back for our sacrifices?
And the S3B passes, what a joke, try getting on an airplane these days with that class of pass.
As for the age 65, there is an outside chance it will pass, though it will not affect me one way or another. As for as using "safety" to shoot it down, ALPA tried for years after it was implemented to have it rescinded on the grounds that safety had nothing to do with the age 60 rule. As time went on, the members changed their stance.
I assume you spent 3 or 4 years as a dues paying member, I paid dues for 39 years.
I am really curious how "my" generation got DAL into this mess, care to explain?
As a matter of fact "deregulation" built Delta and good management. It started downhill after Grinstein started sticking his fingers in the pie.

Personally, I left only 3 months early. As for hijacking a future hiring thread, I answered comments on the contract and BK.
Suppose for a moment that no pilots flew green slips and 50 or 60 pilots were recalled, those guys gave up salary and FAE to get them back. Now what are those 50 -60 pilots going to do for those pilots who gave up that money? Pay them back? Give them free movie tickets? Pay for their health benefits? Don't make me laugh. Furlough is the pitts, I have been there, but where to you get the idea that pilots have to work under a substandard contract just to keep people from being furloughed? Furlough is a business decision made by management. The limitation of 75 hours/month because DAL had pilots on furlough, cost me and many other pilots over $175,000.00 and a good chuck of retirement money. Are the furloughed guys that return going to pay me or the other pilots back for our sacrifices?
And the S3B passes, what a joke, try getting on an airplane these days with that class of pass.
As for the age 65, there is an outside chance it will pass, though it will not affect me one way or another. As for as using "safety" to shoot it down, ALPA tried for years after it was implemented to have it rescinded on the grounds that safety had nothing to do with the age 60 rule. As time went on, the members changed their stance.
I assume you spent 3 or 4 years as a dues paying member, I paid dues for 39 years.
I am really curious how "my" generation got DAL into this mess, care to explain?
As a matter of fact "deregulation" built Delta and good management. It started downhill after Grinstein started sticking his fingers in the pie.

I agree with you about Grinstein......nothing you or I could control.....

I agree S3b passes DO suck....had em on furlough.....watched many a new-hire Comair guy get on before me........

I have paid dues to ALPA for over 14 years, Delta isn't my first ALPA rodeo.

You made your decision about the greenslips ("gotta __________ to pay for")and now you feel like you need to justify it here on this thread. Take all of your DP2, DP3 , R2D2 etc. crap to another board or post......it's really getting old.......

In your same tone........Should I take another paycut or give up MORE work rules so you can live comfortably now as a civilian and restore all of your benefits???? It is a 2 way street sir, get into your lane..........

Last edited:
The limitation of 75 hours/month because DAL had pilots on furlough, cost me and many other pilots over $175,000.00 and a good chuck of retirement money. Are the furloughed guys that return going to pay me or the other pilots back for our sacrifices?

Nope. And it's pretty pompuss of you to think that way as well.

I gave up $310K in straight salary under C2K wages during my furlough, $18000 in MPPP money, and about $30K in 401K money. Got penalized under the DC matrix and will never get a dime from the PBGC (are you one of the 1300 that zero'd out or are you just bitching because your check went down?) That sacrafice was made to save the company money so that you didn't have to give more during that time frame.

You're welcome.

Not pompous at all.

I get "ZERO" from the PBGC/DAL and my medical premiums are going to $900.00/month.

What you gave up means nothing to me, your sacrifices were to save your ass, not mine!

Not pompous at all.

I get "ZERO" from the PBGC/DAL and my medical premiums are going to $900.00/month.

What you gave up means nothing to me, your sacrifices were to save your ass, not mine!

I am just going out on a limb here, but my guess is that you aren't horribly missed over there. Except by yourself....

Not pompous at all.

Well, I guess Warbird you aren't too good at poker.......he exposed his TRUE colors (I GOT MINE, SUCKAS!!!).......now go golfing or something and sleep well knowing we don't miss ya........

Remember it was YOU Warbird who hijacked an innocent thread from the future Delta pilots asking about when hiring was to start and what to expect.........you want a debate?? Take it to your DP3 forum!!!

Does anybody know roughly how many slots will need to be filled based on attrition? Just another ASA'er with a bit of curiosity....

Not pompous at all.

In other words your lump was so large it offset the remaining annuity. Cry me a river. Since you only left 3 months early that means you're not subject to any early withdrawl penalties. Boo hoo.

What you gave up means nothing to me

And that sir, speaks volumes about your character.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back