• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta details planned capacity cuts

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yes, it is what it is stated on the internal memo.

Also that is year over year looking at summer numbers. It is taking in to account the cuts that were made for Q4 of 08. (The cuts made after Labor Day)
So do you think these are reduction in addition to what was already been announced, or taking the cuts that have been made and adding some cuts?

ie: if they have already announced say, a 4% cut, are these 6%-8% on top of that, making it a 10%-12% cut?

These are the total cuts planned for now. If we do not see this offset the drop in loads, of course there will be more cuts. That is when we may see a trimming of the ranks, but none is planned as of today.

So do you think these are reduction in addition to what was already been announced, or taking the cuts that have been made and adding some cuts?

ie: if they have already announced say, a 4% cut, are these 6%-8% on top of that, making it a 10%-12% cut?

From the memo

"Systemwide 2009 capacity will be down 6-8% year over year. Domestic capacity will be down 8-10% and international capacity will be down approximately 3-5%. These numbers include the full impact of previously announced 2008 capacity reductions."

From the memo

"Systemwide 2009 capacity will be down 6-8% year over year. Domestic capacity will be down 8-10% and international capacity will be down approximately 3-5%. These numbers include the full impact of previously announced 2008 capacity reductions."
Yeah, I read that too, but I was confused. Because they were comparing 2009 to 2008 - I was thinking perhaps the percentage cuts were comparing the 2009 to most recent 2008 numbers (which had already been cut from earlier in 2008). I think I have it straight now.

Until the recession bottoms out, this is all irrelevant. There will be more cuts everywhere. TC

As for speculation about which frames/routes, from the memo:

we will announce plans to decrease systemwide capacity, for both Delta and Northwest, during 2009.

In the meantime, we are analyzing the impact on staffing as it pertains to these capacity reductions and, as in the past, we will offer voluntary programs to adjust staffing needs.

Last edited:
Like this wasn't expected. Furloughs are coming sooner than later. ACL65PILOT will chime in with his c2=a2+b2 equation as to why Delta is the best airline and how great it is to get his nuts waxed before every flight. Who wouldn't when you're at the bottom of this combined list? Not knocking you CL, but I told you this was going to happen....and I'll remind you when DL starts the furloughs. It's unfortunate that so many DL people think that their "new" management is any better than all the rest. They just wanted you on board. This might "read" capacity reduction, but it's the start to an overall reduction. Hang on.....enjoy the ride.

Last edited:
Until the recession bottoms out, this is all irrelevant. There will be more cuts everywhere. TC

You're absolutely right!! No one is safe and I fully expect to be furloughed from CAL in the near future. Blows...for everyone.

Like this wasn't expected. Furloughs are coming sooner than later. ACL65PILOT will chime in with his c2=a2+b2 equation as to why Delta is the best airline and how great it is to get his nuts waxed before every flight. Who wouldn't when you're at the bottom of this combined list? Not knocking you CL, but I told you this was going to happen....and I'll remind you when DL starts the furloughs. It's unfortunate that so many DL people think that their "new" management is any better than all the rest. They just wanted you on board. This might "read" capacity reduction, but it's the start to an overall reduction. Hang on.....enjoy the ride.

Fact is that the best laid plans are worthless with the economy going where it is. All I have stated is that given what is in front of the management team here, furloughs are not planned.
If you read what I post, you would realize that, I have stated that further cuts would result in pilot staffing being looked at.
I know you like to bust my back, but seriously, give it a break.

It is too bad, I enjoyed you being gone for a few days.

For your enlightenment. I know I am just a number and a commodity here at DAL. Just like you. My management will do what is necessary to keep this place a float. I do not take that personally. I understand that business decisions are not personal. I am quite content on who my employer is. Fact, is that they have done more for employee relations in the last year, than most places have done in the last decade.

Last edited:
Fact is that the best laid plans are worthless with the economy going where it is. All I have stated is that given what is in front of the management team here, furloughs are not planned.
If you read what I post, you would realize that, I have stated that further cuts would result in pilot staffing being looked at.
I know you like to bust my back, but seriously, give it a break.

It is too bad, I enjoyed you being gone for a few days.

For your enlightenment. I know I am just a number and a commodity here at DAL. Just like you. My management will do what is necessary to keep this place a float. I do not take that personally. I understand that business decisions are not personal. I am quite content on who my employer is. Fact, is that they have done more for employee relations in the last year, than most places have done in the last decade.

Don't worry about this tool.... Pay just as little attention to him as we all pay to Gen Lee.....

-Equally worthless!

-P.S.-I did enjoy the previous comment about "nut waxing"-NICE!

Latest resources

Back