• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta delivers wrong stiff...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
..."died unexpectedly while trying to cross New York City's Harlem River Drive"...
Read, hit by a car.

When I was on the DC-9 in DTW in 2002ish, and the RJ's were starting to take over, there were several stations that got to keep one DC-9 per day just to get the bodies out. We were like the undertakers. Apparently you can't carry a body in an RJ.

Apparently you can't carry a body in an RJ.

You can, but not in a way that complies with FAA cargo net rules. You can fit a (non-casketed) HR into the front bins of the 700/900, though. If there's a casket involved, then it would need a mainline bin due to the size and weight of a typical casket. Also, I'm not sure if the E-170 could fit a casket.

Anyhow, some HRs I've dealt with have weighed upwards of 600+ lbs,with solid oak, or stainless steel caskets, yet had to be bulk-loaded into an MD-80. A wide-body container saved a lot of grief.

Happened at America West in CMH years ago. The remains were sent to the wrong city. The relatives actually laughed because they said the guy was never punctual his whole life and they constantly told him that he would be late for his own funeral.

My mother was known as a very stubborn women. We followed the hearse 13 miles from the funeral home to the grave site. They opened the hearse to find they had forgotten to load her. Close family got a hell of a laugh, others not so much.

Latest resources

Back