• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta DC-9's

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
"Handheld GPS" units aren't certified for use in Part 121 airline service.

"Handheld GPS" units aren't certified for use in Part 121 airline service.
but they can be used for advisory information, such as my ground speed is 413 kts and I will reach BOZST at 0412

I assumed he meant for navigation.

Just VOR DME (rollover). Some of the VORs seem pretty bad too (badger for example), so if you look at a 9 track on flightaware, its a bit wavy ;). We use forecasted winds for descent planning, and get told to go direct to intersections but we are used to it..

Do you Dc-9 guys/gals ever use a handheld GPS for a backup while flying, or just the good old VOR/DME?

I have never seen anyone with a GPS. It could very quickly become a distraction, you are already so busy up there. Everything is pretty much SWAG, emphasis on the science part. I actually have a 8" descent computer (similar to an E-6B) that was once standard issue. After several years on the airplane, you know what works. One of the harder things to get adjusted to when flying the DC-9 is that I can't be as precise as I was in previous aircraft. That being said, I turn being as precise as possible into part of the challenge of flying the airplane. You just really have to stay on your game, it is easy to get behind very quickly if you forget to turn, level off, or start that descent. In practice, this just means constantly doing the math on the way down, and adjusting as necessary to stay on profile. Sometimes that means that you started down too early, but if they were that concerned with it, we would have more precise equipment.

I'm glad I got to fly it, but I won't miss 5 leg days in July, especially that they all have to be through ATL now.

Delayed
Every
Leg
Through
Atlanta

I have never seen anyone with a GPS. It could very quickly become a distraction, you are already so busy up there. Everything is pretty much SWAG, emphasis on the science part. I actually have a 8" descent computer (similar to an E-6B) that was once standard issue. After several years on the airplane, you know what works. One of the harder things to get adjusted to when flying the DC-9 is that I can't be as precise as I was in previous aircraft. That being said, I turn being as precise as possible into part of the challenge of flying the airplane. You just really have to stay on your game, it is easy to get behind very quickly if you forget to turn, level off, or start that descent. In practice, this just means constantly doing the math on the way down, and adjusting as necessary to stay on profile. Sometimes that means that you started down too early, but if they were that concerned with it, we would have more precise equipment.

I'm glad I got to fly it, but I won't miss 5 leg days in July, especially that they all have to be through ATL now.

Delayed
Every
Leg
Through
Atlanta

Does the descent computer just tell you how far out (nm) to start descending using groundspeed and how high you are or is it more that that?

Brings back memories of the 737-200. 2 VORs, DME and the Nav aid of the future ADF!

They should bring back the ADF's. Funny how many ga pilots can't/don't want to do use them. I never had too much trouble with them and was the only thing I did right on my first IFR checkride. Of course the pros never have any trouble with them right???

Latest resources

Back