• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta cutting 23% of flights at CVG, mainly RJs....article

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
the new delta seems to have it out for the 50 seaters.
No, not really, and not specifically. RJ's perform nearly two thirds of Delta's domestic block hours. When there is an equal cut on a percentage basis, more RJ's are going to get caught because of their larger numbers.

Comair's cuts reflect our cuts and are about the same size as the cuts being taken on your airplane this year, Super.

It could easily be said that our employers have a big love for CRJ900's and E175's. 55% growth is significant. (made more obvious by a Mesaba new hire jump seater in flip flops, baggy shorts and a graphic T shirt that blew off a DAL 767 Captain yesterday :rolleyes:. The A line observed "this "punk" will make Captain in probably two years and will be flying "Delta" passengers :puke: " She's probably more right than she knows.)

The only significant fleet growth are in airplanes that our union Reps have decided we don't want to fly.

Last edited:
No, not really, and not specifically. RJ's perform nearly two thirds of Delta's domestic block hours. When there is an equal cut on a percentage basis, more RJ's are going to get caught because of their larger numbers.

Comair's cuts reflect our cuts and are about the same size as the cuts being taken on your airplane this year, Super.

It could easily be said that our employers have a big love for CRJ900's and E175's. 55% growth is significant. (made more obvious by a Mesaba new hire jump seater in flip flops, baggy shorts and a graphic T shirt that blew off a DAL 767 Captain yesterday :rolleyes:. The A line observed "this "punk" will make Captain in probably two years and will be flying "Delta" passengers :puke: " She's probably more right than she knows.)

The only significant fleet growth are in airplanes that our union Reps have decided we don't want to fly.

Amazingly, I've run into this several times recently. I can't remember this attitude a few years ago, what are these young regional pilots being taught about the jumpseat? They treat it as a right and not the PRIVILEGE it is! Show some respect while jumpseating!

Fins, I hope you or the Capt took care of this situation appropriately.

Re: Delta cutting 23% of flights at CVG, mainly RJs...

...a Mesaba new hire jump seater in flip flops, baggy shorts and a graphic T shirt that blew off a DAL 767 Captain yesterday.

Wow. How come there's not a 6 page thread on this already?

This is a trend, according to every analyst, that will continue. The trend is the reduction and the eventual elimination of the 50 seat RJ. Actually if you are a Delta or NW pilot this is good news. Fewer RJs and more passengers on "real" jets.

Last edited:
Amazingly, I've run into this several times recently. I can't remember this attitude a few years ago, what are these young regional pilots being taught about the jumpseat? They treat it as a right and not the PRIVILEGE it is! Show some respect while jumpseating!

Fins, I hope you or the Capt took care of this situation appropriately.
He was professionally and respectfully briefed on what was expected by one of Delta's best Captains. However, his story that he was "in a hurry" indicated to me that he knew the rules and made the decision to ignore them. His display of his Mesaba ID at all times just tells me that he did not have situational awareness. He seemed pleased to have used CASS & a busy Gate Agent to sneak past the Captain on his way to the beach.

Another reason for one list. So we don't have B and C teams that don't follow expectations for serving Delta passengers.

My apologies for the thread creep.

Last edited:
This is a trend, according to every analyst, that will continue. The trend is the reduction and the eventual elimination of the 50 seat RJ. Actually if you are a Delta or NW pilot this is good news. Fewer RJs and more passengers on "real" jets.

At what number seats does an aircraft become "real"?

I don't fly on enough regional jets to give you an accurate answer. It has been my experience that riding on a 50 seat RJ is nothing short of a hellish experience. Zero leg room, limited overhead space hey but at least it is inefficient.

In my home town, three mainline Delta B737 jets have been replaced by six 50 seat RJs. Bad for the customer, bad for Delta, bad for mainline pilots at all airlines.

Excellent point Joe.

Although I wish mainline had kept the 76 seaters to themselves instead of farming them out to people like us making no more than $100k a year, I recently deadheaded ATL-CVG on a Comair CRJ900. It's interior blew any mainline (short of the 76ER business class) out of the water for comfort, leg room, etc. I was in coach as well.

Forgive me for not reading every Delta/Comair related article, but the article you posted in THIS thread makes no mention of Comair anywhere. I don't care who's dropping what flights, you just implied by the title of your post that the press release you pasted was announcing Comair cuts specifically. I realize you just inserted your own commentary.

You got me George Plimpton.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back