• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta CEO on CNBC

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
On top of it, I am guessing that they will try some differences training with the 9, 88, and 90. Not sure if it will pass muster, but I bet they try. After all it is the same type rating.

Won't happen. A while back we were looking at getting some of AKs MD-80s. The differences were enough that it was decided to run them as a different category. Even though the 9 and the 88 are the same type rating, you won't see them flown as a common category. However to go from one to the other will be a very short training course.

On top of it, I am guessing that they will try some differences training with the 9, 88, and 90. Not sure if it will pass muster, but I bet they try. After all it is the same type rating.

Doubt it. They tried that with the 737 fleet, when we had 737-300s 300Gs, 200s and 800s, it didn't work out. They'll probably run the 9s as a different fleet. Besides, it will probably be at least early 2011 before we have a single operating certificate so I very much doubt that a NWA pilot can get in a 88 or a DAL pilot in a 9 before that time.

REgarding the DC-9s being parked...

Honestly not sure how many u have but I am hearing rumblings about the 9s replacing the MD-88s on the Delta Shuttle once the merger is completed.

I could see that happening, but they had better make it a "pimped out ride"---no old seats etc. Those people pay top dollar for their short rides, and we are up against USAir A319s and Eagle 135s......well, just make it nice...

Bye Bye--General Lee

Besides, it will probably be at least early 2011 before we have a single operating certificate

My bad. I should have said early 2010. Date of corporate closure around Jan 2009, single operating certificate about a year later. Just an estimate.

No cross bidding until single operating certificate, joint contract and SLI.

Agree with that. I said that they would try. Just like they did with the 765 and 767.

I know and that is why they agreed to this no furlough clause for two years. That is how long it will take before we would start to see a paring down of the operation.

Wait a minute what do we have here? Is this a decent debate and discussion about the merger? I am shocked!! ;) Keep it up guys. :beer:

Agree with that. I said that they would try. Just like they did with the 765 and 767.

Whats interesting is here at CAL the 757 base covers 757-200,757-300, 767-200 and the 767-400 (I have no clue why at DAL its called the 765---Maybe someone could chime in)

At the same time I just flew a trip where I was flying a brand new 737-900ER and then the next leg we were in an old -300 round dial, but there is word that the -300 fleet will get split off when the fleet type starts getting shrunk down. (RUMOR ALERT)

Now for combining DC-9 and MD-88 fleets... I wold ventrue to say there is no way that would happen, very different aircraft.

Yes, one has FMS the other does not. I just find it funny that the DC-9 all the way to the 717 are on the same type certificate.
I do not see that happening either. I just think that it may be attempted by management.

The 765 is the international version of the 767-400. We used to have a domestic category called the 765 but that changed a few years ago.
They do not have them all in one category because we negotiated it that way. I am sure that if we wanted to the company would be more than happy to make all 767 derivatives one category. There are many reasons why we do not.

Whats interesting is here at CAL the 757 base covers 757-200,757-300, 767-200 and the 767-400 (I have no clue why at DAL its called the 765---Maybe someone could chime in)

At the same time I just flew a trip where I was flying a brand new 737-900ER and then the next leg we were in an old -300 round dial, but there is word that the -300 fleet will get split off when the fleet type starts getting shrunk down. (RUMOR ALERT)

Now for combining DC-9 and MD-88 fleets... I wold venture to say there is no way that would happen, very different aircraft.

Supposedly differences training between the nine and the md80 would only be 3 days. It would be more efficient to have it all the same but we all know thats not how things seem to work at the airlines.;)

Different animal - the 80 and above have auto-throttle, MCP, auto-land Cat II, and some have FMS. Differences training can be done in a few days, but they are different enough, unlike 757/767 to run as separate categories. When I was at TWA they were run separately for the above reason.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back