• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta cancels 198 flights out of Hartsfield Thursday because of snow threat

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Song pilots can't land on runways in ATL on a good day. Can you imagine how many taxiways they'd land on with a snow flake or two on the runways there?

Maybe they looked at the piles and piles of scattered de-icing procedures, manuals, hold over, braking action charts and figured they couldn't get it accomplished safely or within 2 hours of pushing.

One place, right place. My foot!

Maybe they looked at the piles and piles of scattered de-icing procedures, manuals, hold over, braking action charts and figured they couldn't get it accomplished safely or within 2 hours of pushing.

One place, right place. My foot!

Pick 1 do-list out of the 3 choices and then go to the holdover table... is it really that hard? We used to only have 1 do-list then go to the table before we merged. So, what does that tell you?

That being said, the braking action/wind charts and such as of phase 5 are all combined- those were scattered away in the AM, which was a bit weird.

ATL isn't set up for large scale deicing. It only is required 2 or maybe 3 days a year at the most. The airport authority won't approve larger areas for deicing for environmental reasons. It's more cost effective just to cancel.

I just drove from Blairsville (Ga mtns near NC) to Henry County south of ATL and basically you have decent snow from Ellijay to Blue Ridge to Blairsville but it was a non-event Jasper south down I-575.

Driving by the airport on I-75 there was absolutely no weather going on.

One of the local news channels (2) is LIVE doing a winter storm program and they have NOTHING to show. :laugh:

Just light flurries outside here on the northeast side of town still. The storm of the century! Buy all the milk out of the grocery stores! Fuel up your cars! Get your guns!

Much easier to cancel ahead of time. System recovers quicker when things are thought out ahead of time. I am sure Airtran did a precautionary cancelling of a bunch of flights this evening too. This snow will only be here 6-10 hours and then be gone by sunrise.

One of the biggest reasons I love being based in ATL; no snow. I had enough snow and ice at my previous job to last me the rest of my life. Anyone out there who thinks that dealing with snow, ice, de-icing lines, sub-zero temps, crazy hotel van drivers speeding on icy roads, and 5 AM preflights sliding around in the glycol makes them cool is welcome to it. I will console myself staying at home pay-protected when the company cancels my flight due to three snow flakes. :)

One of the biggest reasons I love being based in ATL; no snow. I had enough snow and ice at my previous job to last me the rest of my life. Anyone out there who thinks that dealing with snow, ice, de-icing lines, sub-zero temps, crazy hotel van drivers speeding on icy roads, and 5 AM preflights sliding around in the glycol makes them cool is welcome to it. I will console myself staying at home pay-protected when the company cancels my flight due to three snow flakes. :)

Heck, they don't even salt the roads down here. Just sprinkle some sand and say "good luck!"

And I say "can't get into work."

Latest resources

Back