Delta Bankruptcy Here it Comes

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
bvt1151 said:
Oh my God! Somebody call Grinstein quick. All they have to do is raise fares, and nobody told him. I can't believe a bunch of MBA's with over 1,000 years collective experience in the airline industry couldn't come up with the answer of all answers that a 5-35 year airplane driver could.

Or could it be that passenger demand in the East Coast and Southeast is far to elastic to raise fares?

There's a reason we don't run airlines.

You're failing to see my point. The mainline managers know they will make money again. They know they have Chapter 11 protection. Why not get ALL they can from the employee groups before they decide it's time to really get down to business. You show your age and nievety by thinking the best of the best are running the airlines. They're mostly a bunch of recycled mediocre MBA students thrown around from falied airline to another, while extracting millions in pension guratees. Wake up man, you are your own worst enemy. Purdue dosen't usually produce such suckers.

General Lee said:
I am so glad that Fins saw 9-11 coming and didn't tell anyone. He also saw the internet bubble, and probably cashed in. Look at your inability to scope yourself in any of your contracts (ASA and the recent Comair contract). None of you saw that coming, did you? That was only National ALPA's fault?

Bye Bye--General Lee
While it was called the "internet bubble" much of the business had to do with fear of the year 2000 roll over and all of the tech types flying all over to install fixes. And yes, I did sell some stock in January 2000. I also did predict Delta's bankruptcy when the bullet points for contract 2000 came out. Is there any way to search those posts? I was off by a year on the date, but then again, I did not see the AmEx deal, or GE Capital's help.

As far as scope goes, ALPA National did in fact block our attempts at gaining scope. Here are the links to the letters:

http://www.rjdefense.com/alpaletters.pdf

My next prediction is that the airline that already has the 100 seat fleet type on the property (in the 70 seat variation) will fly it. Further, mainline Delta guys will attempt J4J at Jet Blue rates once they start seeing the deck slip beneath the waves. You probably see this one coming also and I can't blame you for being angry at Blue for a variety of reasons.

Unfortunately all the unpleasantness while Delta squanders around in Bankruptcy Court is going to negatively effect my AAI shares, but I'm holding to prices over $30 a share evenutally. I bought at $2.85 or so and bought more at $10.40.

Last edited:
General Lee said:
Look at your inability to scope yourself in any of your contracts (ASA and the recent Comair contract). None of you saw that coming, did you? That was only National ALPA's fault? Comair got a pretty good pay raise (now frozen), but never thought scope was important. OOOOps.

Bye Bye--General Lee

*5,125*

You'd do well to spend less time writing and more time reading. Even someone who goes through life in a Kool-Aid induced haze should be at least dimly aware of how the DCI carriers were stripped of Scope.

Oakum_Boy said:
You're failing to see my point. The mainline managers know they will make money again. They know they have Chapter 11 protection. Why not get ALL they can from the employee groups before they decide it's time to really get down to business. You show your age and nievety by thinking the best of the best are running the airlines. They're mostly a bunch of recycled mediocre MBA students thrown around from falied airline to another, while extracting millions in pension guratees. Wake up man, you are your own worst enemy. Purdue dosen't usually produce such suckers.

From what I've heard, USAirways, Northwest, United, Delta, ATA, Independence, and Midwest all said they could make money, but they just want to screw of the pilots first...particularly this Oakum guy, whoever that is.

Is it so far-fetched to assume that airlines are entering bankruptcy for reasons beyond us? Granted, its easiest to reduce our pay to reduce costs, but there's a whole lot more to this industry than your view from the cockpit. Fuel prices, 10-year-old leasing agreements, and most of all, overcapacity are all larger factors than management's desire to destroy the lives of all pilots.

It's histerical to think I've been accused of being naive by a person who's very next sentence is that airline management are "mostly a bunch of recycled mediocre MBA students..." Did you know all it takes to become an airline pilot is $40-grand and a few weeks in Florida? When it comes to running an airline, I'd put my money on the mediocre MBA students.

Oakum_Boy said:
It's an excuse for airline managements to extract as much from the pilots and others as possible. If they really wanted to avoid bankruptcy, they would raise fares. It is informal collusion between all the managements, and as soon as they have what they want- wham- they're raising fares, and making money. The pilots won't see what they lost for many years. ALPA should strike now. All of us. Peace out-

You are joking, right? Just dont see how Southwest, Jet Blue, Air Tran collude with any legacy carrier.

theo said:
You are joking, right? Just dont see how Southwest, Jet Blue, Air Tran collude with any legacy carrier.

Yeah, they're making money, but only because they don't have the overhead of the legacys. Trim costs in bankruptcy, and shazam, they'll have similar costs.

bvt1151 said:
Did you know all it takes to become an airline pilot is $40-grand and a few weeks in Florida?

Yeah, you got it. Was it my sunburn in the picture that gave it away???

Last edited:
Oakum_Boy said:
Yeah, they're making money, but only because they don't have the overhead of the legacys. Trim costs in bankruptcy, and shazam, they'll have similar costs.
So you agree bankruptcy is a way to make legacy carriers competitive. Not a collusion to screw the employees?

theo said:
So you agree bankruptcy is a way to make legacy carriers competitive. Not a collusion to screw the employees?

Yeah, you got it. The easiest method, and certainly the one that requires the least capital expenditure, it to take the pay of pilots, mechs, and F/A's. Look at UsAir, and United. They proposition the bankruptcy judges to gut the union contracts, and its done! Easy as that. Now how do we all wind up in this management shangra-la? Well, don't raise ticket prices, and you can be there too. And any executive can take his or her "retention" bonus, and retire in Florida. That's the school of management I'm talking about...

Oakum_Boy said:
Yeah, you got it. The easiest method, and certainly the one that requires the least capital expenditure, it to take the pay of pilots, mechs, and F/A's. Look at UsAir, and United. They proposition the bankruptcy judges to gut the union contracts, and its done! Easy as that. Now how do we all wind up in this management shangra-la? Well, don't raise ticket prices, and you can be there too. And any executive can take his or her "retention" bonus, and retire in Florida. That's the school of management I'm talking about...

?????? you lost me?????

Latest resources

Back