Delta and concessions

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
AMERICAN AIRLINES FLIGHT 11
7:45 a.m.: Departed Boston for Los Angeles.
8:46 a.m.: Crashed into the north tower of the World Trade Center.

Mohamed Atta, pilot and group leader
Nationality: Egyptian.
“A walking dead man.” That is how the head of one Florida flight school described this son of a middle-class lawyer and a doting mother. It was not a reference to Atta’s impending suicide, but to his demeanor. Most Floridians who encountered Atta remember him as always serious and frequently boorish. Thought to be a mastermind of the Sept. 11 plot, he and two other leader/pilots, Marwan al-Shehhi and Ziad Jarrah, go back to the late 1990s when they spent time together at Technical University of Hamburg-Harburg in Germany.

Abdulaziz Alomari
Nationality: Saudi.
The last hijacker to arrive in the United States. His grinning face captured at an ATM machine in Portland, Maine, gave rise to an FBI theory that some hijackers did not know the Sept. 11 plot was a suicide mission. Took flying classes in Vero Beach. Trained at a Boynton Beach gym.

Satam M.A. Al Suqami
Tied to a foiled millennium plot to blow up tourist sites. Trained in a Boynton Beach gym.

Wail M. Alshehri
Stayed at motels in Hollywood, Deerfield Beach and Boynton Beach. Brother is Waleed, below.

Waleed M. Alshehri
Generally followed his brother’s movements in Florida. Their father last saw them in December 2000 when Wail Alshehri went away to seek religious help for a psychological problem.

UNITED AIRLINES FLIGHT 175
7:58 a.m.: Departed Boston for Los Angeles
9:02 a.m.: Crashed into the south tower of the World Trade Center

Marwan al-Shehhi, pilot and group leader
Nationality: United Arab Emirates.
Al-Shehhi was a friendly foil to his frequent companion, the brooding Atta, as they earned their commercial pilots licenses together in Venice, then trained on a simulator in Opa-Locka near Miami. He and Atta arrived in the United States in the summer of 2000. This time last year, al-Shehhi, Atta and several other Sept. 11 terrorists were living at a Deerfield Beach motel, where the owner noticed they dressed nicely, never went to the beach a block away, never swam in the kidney-shaped pool and always carried black duffel bags.

Fayez Rashid Ahmed Hassan Al Qadi Banihammad
He left home in July 2000, telling his family he was joining the International Islamic Relief Organization. He turned up later in Delray Beach. A year ago this past Tuesday, he purchased his first-class ticket on Flight 175.

Ahmed Alghamdi
One of two Sept. 11 terrorists with ties to a foiled millennium plot to attack tourist destinations. Lived in Delray, but moved to Virginia by this time last year to get in place for the attack.

Hamza Alghamdi
Lived in Delray Beach with two hijackers from Flight 93, the plane that crashed in Pennsylvania.

Mohand Alshehri
Nationality: Unknown.
Not related to the Alshehri brothers aboard Flight 11. Lived in Delray Beach, where a librarian remembers his name on signup sheets to wait to use a computer.

AMERICAN AIRLINES FLIGHT 77
8:10 a.m.: Departed Washington Dulles for Los Angeles
9:40 a.m.: Crashed into the Pentagon

Hani Hanjour, pilot and group leader
Hanjour led the terrorist group based in San Diego. His only Florida contact came in 1996 when he stayed with friends of his brother in Miramar. In the weeks before Sept. 11, he met twice with Mohamed Atta in Las Vegas. The FBI now believes those sessions at a discount motel were crucial in planning the attacks. Hanjour took flying lessons in Scottsdale, Ariz., where his instructors said his skills were poor. Investigators say that could be the reason Flight 77, with Hanjour at the controls, began to jerk.

Nawaf Alhazmi

Majed Moqed

Khalid Almihdhar

Salem Alhazmi

UNITED AIRLINES FLIGHT 93
8:42 a.m.: Departed Newark for San Francisco
10:01 a.m.: Crashed in Stony Creek Township, Penn.

Ziad Samir Jarrah, pilot and group leader
Nationality: Lebanese.
Jarrah was the leader of the only hijacking group with four members, a factor that may have enabled a group of passengers to overpower them. Raised in a middle-class family, Jarrah left Lebanon in 1996. In Germany, he partied and seemed to enjoy Western culture. In 1999, after meeting Atta, he got his pilot’s license in Hamburg and dropped out of school. He turned up several months later in Venice, Fla., to take flying lessons. In 2001, he moved to Hollywood and began martial arts classes. On Sept. 9, he checked out of a Deerfield Beach motel with Atta, al-Shehhi and others.

Saeed Alghamdi
One of three hijackers who rented a $900-a-month condo in the Delray Beach Racquet Club near I-95. On Sept. 7, Alghamdi and roommate Ahmed Alnami flew from Fort Lauderdale to Newark on Spirit Airlines to get in position for Sept. 11.

Ahmed Ibrahim A. Al Haznawi
Once lived in Lauderdale by the Sea, two blocks from the beach, with Jarrah. Drove Jarrah’s sporty Mitsubishi Eclipse.

Ahmed Alnami
At 5-feet-9 inches tall, he was among the taller hijackers.

© Copyright 2002 St. Petersburg Times. All rights reserved.

They can squeeze all they want. I will not give them another dime. I realize in BK they can take from me. That's fine. In BK, everyone will give. But they will have to take it, I will vote no to any more concessions.

michael707767 said:
They can squeeze all they want. I will not give them another dime. I realize in BK they can take from me. That's fine. In BK, everyone will give. But they will have to take it, I will vote no to any more concessions.

I looked at the payscale of the Delta and Northwest guys and they are higher than United and US Air. I don't see why they are taking this out on the employees.

michael707767 said:

You guys vote no means the GuppyKiller will rule the world!

Just a cute little tidbit that came out in the Delta news. Last quarter Delta lost about 330 million...right...give or take a bit? They spent over 1 billion dollars in fuel between Delta, ASA and Comair. Even if JG came out with the perfect business plan, I'm don't think it would help with where fuel is priced. I know it wasn't fuel that put Delta where it is right now, but it might be fuel that stops them from improving in the near future...hopefully I'm wrong because I want them to succeed.

Latest resources

Back