• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta Air Lines Orders Up to 70 Bombardier CRJ900 NextGen Jetliners

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Agreed. I would love it if we could get to a place where our pilots (unified) are working with management to make this a successful company with less poisonous morale. Unfortunately I think the company's idea of working together is chasing after the continuously lowering bar in this segment of the industry. With each regional liquidation or BK concession our position gets worse. The longer we bicker among ourselves the more we play into their hands. We need to resolve our disagreements internally & quickly.

You make good points, however I don't believe a few pilots bickering on forums about rumors means our two MECs are bickering. They may or may not be, but nobody truly knows what's going on.

Also, I believe the company isn't continuously lowering the bar, they are going for high quality product at a reasonable price, unlike GoJet which goes for bare minimum quality at bare bones price. I have a close friend at GoJet and he states while the upgrade is quick, it's a dirt cheap scumbag company where you have to watch your back every leg.

I firmly believe in Skywest Inc's business plan of high quality product at reasonable costs.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Agreed. I would love it if we could get to a place where our pilots (unified) are working with management to make this a successful company with less poisonous morale. Unfortunately I think the company's idea of working together is chasing after the continuously lowering bar in this segment of the industry. With each regional liquidation or BK concession our position gets worse. The longer we bicker among ourselves the more we play into their hands. We need to resolve our disagreements internally & quickly.

smartest post in the entire thread. Put aside the petty stuff and come together, or lose.

Honest question for the ASA and XJET guys.....What happens if a JCBA can not be reached or if it fails ratification?

Some rumors I heard is that Uncle Jerry could overbid the ERJ operation and win a replacement bid with CRJ operations. There are a ton coming on the market from the Delta operators. Plus, with CRJ-200 being a training platform for the 700/900, that makes them more valuable than the ERJ's. Even if we do work out our differences, I see most ERJ's headed the desert or overseas before the CRJ's for that reason alone. If UAL does allow larger planes and with Skywest Inc. having purchased first rights, What 70/76 seater makes since to you? We have no established training or maintience program for an EMB-175. We could start a CRJ-700/900 program next week.

I don't know how we got to such a hatred level between our two groups. There are certainly some aspects of your guys contract I like. Some with ours. I do know that the negotiating committee has marching orders to terminate your B-fund and find a way to buy you guys off. A cash payout to L-xjt pilots and not to L-asa pilots will certainly encourage 1700 no votes on our side. So, how then to make the joint contract good enough for 50.1%?

Personally, I think we should be positioning ourselves to make it palatable for a merge with Skywest. The era of divide and conquer needs to die. We need to all be on the same team and work together to beat our real competition, other Regionals.

so how are two ALPA carriers going to merge with one militantly non-ALPA carrier who bought them? Not being a prick, just genuinely curious how that's going to play out, as it should.

so how are two ALPA carriers going to merge with one militantly non-ALPA carrier who bought them? Not being a prick, just genuinely curious how that's going to play out, as it should.

The only militant types I've encountered are the pro ALPA crowd. The rest of us are content to get along and live our lives happily.

If you want us to join ALPA, you need to convince us of the advantages and not act like a bunch of thugs.

As it is, so long as we are not union, we will never be merged. Were we to vote in ALPA, we would probably be merged in short order.

Peace.

The only militant types I've encountered are the pro ALPA crowd. The rest of us are content to get along and live our lives happily.

If you want us to join ALPA, you need to convince us of the advantages and not act like a bunch of thugs.

As it is, so long as we are not union, we will never be merged. Were we to vote in ALPA, we would probably be merged in short order.

Peace.

I don't know much about working at Skywest, but I did work for ASA shortly after we got ALPA, (literally a couple of months into it)... and the difference between a union contract and none was dramatic, but that was in the mid 90's, and this is now... it's hard to say if the ALPA RJ drivers are doing any better or not... but it's not hard to say that ALPA in general has a problem with being representation for RJ pilots as well as mainline pilots...

thanks for the insight.

Honest question for the ASA and XJET guys.....What happens if a JCBA can not be reached or if it fails ratification?

Answer: nothing happens. We would just keep working under the old contracts, and this could continue for years. (The current ASA contract was under negotiation for five years). A final resolution will only come about when the pilot group(s) get tired enough of not seeing any cost of living raises, and start causing headaches for the company. In 2007, it only took a month or two of everybody really getting on board with operating as safely as humanly possible, for the company to finally call "uncle."

Peace.

You could vote in ALPA or not, it does not force a merge. But, if the board is convinced that a merge is in the best interest of the company, it will happen overnight. Then per NMB procedures, all employees work groups that are represented will get a vote as to which representation the new group will have. Every body gets their say.

Alpa could go down the road of a single carrier petition with the NMB. If they feel there is enough evidence that all pilots of Skywest Inc. share a common structure, then they might rule that we should be commonly represented. Again, a vote must happen with all pilots. But, this is off the table for now because it is in the TPA between XJT and ASA ALPA, and management that there will be no discussion of "One-list" until the completion of the ASA/XJT merge (which is SLI).

With the difficulty in recruiting and retaining pilots becoming a real issue, I think we could all agree, that one-list would be a huge step toward helping that. Personally, with our management track record, I would never vote out the union. The 2% pay is a worthwhile insurance policy to me. I would be in favor of dropping ALPA for inhouse though. Sure, Skywest Inc would like to remain union free, but I think, at least before the XJT purchase, that Inc has found it not too difficult to work with the union. We need to keep our sights on bigger prizes.....

You could vote in ALPA or not, it does not force a merge. But, if the board is convinced that a merge is in the best interest of the company, it will happen overnight.

And the board is made up of people who dont want your two pilot groups souring their bread and butter airline. Aint ever happening.

Latest resources

Back