• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta 5 day domestic trips

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Why do you care wave? I'm just curious why a some one who has nothing to do with Delta spends so much time and is so passionate about our airline? I'm guessing you were rejected or are bitter because we are getting your 717's. Either way, get over it. Does anyone know how to engage the ignore feature. I'm about to add my 1st to the list.

Nope. Used to be you. I CHOSE swa bc they don't sell out scope.
As for ignore, why not be a man and just ignore me. No self control? Maybe that's why it's always so easy to vote yes to raises when all it costs is a bit more scope

I try to avoid 5 day trips, and until this month I've been pretty successful. I live in base and would rather even do 2 two day trips back-to-back that 1 four day trip. I try to bid 1 day trips, but usually can't hold them.

So let me be the first to dive in this question...
What's the junior assigned equip and base? How long until LAX or SLC can be held?

So let me be the first to dive in this question...
What's the junior assigned equip and base? How long until LAX or SLC can be held?

1) NYC M88, NYC 7ER, ATL DC9, ATL M88, DTW DC9.

2) SLC plug is at 96.7% on the list. LAX plug is at 95.3%. "How long" is hard to say since we are not hiring.

1) NYC M88, NYC 7ER, ATL DC9, ATL M88, DTW DC9.

2) SLC plug is at 96.7% on the list. LAX plug is at 95.3%. "How long" is hard to say since we are not hiring.

Thanks. That's actually a little better than I expected. I am supposing the window will open before too long. I've been doing 91/91K/135 the past 7 yrs so I'm in no hurry just yet, I'd look like an idiot in a 121 interview at this point, so a little time to get ready is good. But with 2300 turbine and of that only 650 TPIC (and last PIC hour logged was 2002) I'd probably fall back in the desirability line pretty far anyways.

Last edited:
Heyas,

I did 2 five day and 1 four day trips for months on end.

I agree that by the end of the fourth day you are pretty tuckered, but it beats wasting another day or two commuting.

Usually the last day was one leg.

A lot of the guys who said "I'll never bid DTW...too dirty and cold", "I'll never do a 5 day trip", "I'll never do a 12 day Asia trip, that's just too long", or "I'll never fly the DC-9/Airbus because it's to old/French, and if it aint Boeing, I ain't going" wound up doing exactly that because:

1) DTW is a commuter's paradise, with cheap hotels/crash pads, good transportation, lots of flights and rarely affected by delays or other hassles. Lot's of guys who swore they'd never fly DTW realized their new found seniority went pretty darn far.

2) When you can do one or two less commutes a month, they go senior.

3) 1 12 day trip, and bam, you're done for the month. I can't tell you how may people said they'd never fly them, yet now that's all they do.

4) The 330 (both seats) and DC-9/320 (left seat) in ATL went VERY senior. Funny about that. Quite a lot of SENIOR folks who talked trash about those airplanes couldn't trip over themselves fast enough when the opportunity presented itself.

So, boys and girls, the moral of this story is simply do not believe a word out of anyone's mouth about what they will bid or what kind of flying they want to do. If it pays, they'll be all over it.

Nu

Heyas,

So, boys and girls, the moral of this story is simply do not believe a word out of anyone's mouth about what they will bid or what kind of flying they want to do. If it pays, they'll be all over it.

Nu

That is true. It also works the other way. With so many commuters wanting 5 day trips, you would think there would never be any on the open board or on someone's line who avoids them, but they are.

That is true. It also works the other way. With so many commuters wanting 5 day trips, you would think there would never be any on the open board or on someone's line who avoids them, but they are.

That's because it's hard to fit a five day trip into an existing schedule unless you're dropping something else.

With the swap rules in the DAL contract, you have to have the reserve coverage to drop your original trip under the arcane "same reserve coverage or better" rules. When you are dealing with 4-5 days to move around, that can be a challenge.

FWIW, under the fNWA contract, any legal swap (except for holiday periods) had to be approved, even it was a 1 day for a 5 day. There were some consequences if your line value got low, so it was a trade off.

Nu

Pmfji

Why do you care wave? I'm just curious why a some one who has nothing to do with Delta spends so much time and is so passionate about our airline? I'm guessing you were rejected or are bitter because we are getting your 717's. Either way, get over it. Does anyone know how to engage the ignore feature. I'm about to add my 1st to the list.
I'm not trying to do this because this seems to happen way too often on our threads.

But, I would like to hear more about the five days. I would bid them if we had them at SWA provided they pay well.

My guess is if they were able to squeeze another day out of us the best it would pay for a five day would be around 33 tfp. There are a few four days out there that pay close to that already. I believe the min guarantee would be written at 5 x 6.5 putting it at 32.5. 3 of those would be a 15 day month with a total of 97.5 tfp. Not real productive for us so they would probably go junior.

How do they pay for you guys?

Latest resources

Back