Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
dseagrav said:
Deleted - Wrong forum
Not only is it the wrong forum but you dont even have a clue as to what it takes to be an airline pilot. How in the heck can someone like you even state that "The truth hurts only if it should."

Get that wisdom in your 25 hours of C-152 time?

No, got it years before, from my grandmother, when I complained of being teased at school. It went something like this:

'If you're offended by a someone's joke, there's a reason. Only a fool lets himself get worked up over some would-be comedian. The truth only hurts if it should, so don't let it."

(That's probably not word-for-word, but it's close enough. I'm sure you get the point.)

If you think it's funny, nobody takes it seriously. If you get all offended and start getting all worked up over it, then people go "Oh, wait, there's something here!"

Dangerkitty said:
How in the heck can someone like you even state that "The truth hurts only if it should."
What credentials are required for one to state the truth?

Must one be a Doctor of Mathematics to state 1 + 1 equals 2?

Must one be an Astronomer to surmise the sun rises in the east, and sets in the west?

Must one be a Medical Doctor to state that hitting one's thumb with a sledge hammer will cause intense pain?

Does one need flight experience to be able to recognize life's truths?

I missed the original post before it was deleted. Perhaps you have a beef with that, and that's understandable. However, I am miffed by your objection to the statement that the truth only hurts if it should.

TonyC said:
What credentials are required for one to state the truth?

Must one be a Doctor of Mathematics to state 1 + 1 equals 2?

Must one be an Astronomer to surmise the sun rises in the east, and sets in the west?

Must one be a Medical Doctor to state that hitting one's thumb with a sledge hammer will cause intense pain?

Does one need flight experience to be able to recognize life's truths?

I missed the original post before it was deleted. Perhaps you have a beef with that, and that's understandable. However, I am miffed by your objection to the statement that the truth only hurts if it should.

He posted a link to the Real Men of Genius campaign with the song, "Mr Discount Airline Pilot Guy" He then made a reference to Airtran stating the "Truth only hurts if it should."

I then informed him that with his 25 hours of C-152 time he has no idea what
"the truth" is in regards to being a competent or incompetent airline pilot.

And no I dont fly for Airtran. I just get sick of losers like this guy passing judgement on a group of airline pilots when he has no clue as to the hard work and sacrifice it takes to be one.

Ahh, I just found what seems to be the deleted post:

AirTran objects to accusations of genius...

And I see you've just responded... hang on a sec...

Dangerkitty said:
He posted a link to the Real Men of Genius campaign with the song, "Mr Discount Airline Pilot Guy" He then made a reference to Airtran stating the "Truth only hurts if it should."

I then informed him that with his 25 hours of C-152 time he has no idea what
"the truth" is in regards to being a competent or incompetent airline pilot.

And no I dont fly for Airtran. I just get sick of losers like this guy passing judgement on a group of airline pilots when he has no clue as to the hard work and sacrifice it takes to be one.
Let's get one thing straight, here. There may be an exception out there, but so far as I know, every pilot that has heard this radio ad thought it was funny, if not hilarious. Whether they be a novice or a professional, working on the PPL or working for the highest paying major, they see the humor in the ad.

The article is not about pilots complaining about the ad, so his "truth hurts" comment can't possibly be about pilots, now can it? The article is about the COMPANY, AIRTRAN, complaining to Annheiser-Busch about the ad's implication that safety is compromised for price. Now, I'm not sure what AIRTRAN thought it would accomplish by raising the stink, but it certainly doesn't promote their professional image. Why would AIRTRAN stand up and complain instead of any other "Discount Airline"? Even if they're the only Discount Airline that serves the only destination that was specifically named in the ad, most listeners won't know that, and I dare say very few listeners identified the ad with any particular carrier. On the contrary, they probably identified the ad with a small tube, narrow seating, uncomfortable cheap ride from Point A to Point B. Their mentla image might have included a pair of propellors, or a couple of tiny turbines. The brand was likely generic in their imagery as they listened to the beer ad. AIRTRAN, by complaining, has just plastered THEIR brand in place of the generic airline in those minds.

Why did AIRTRAN raise the flag about safety? Well, your guess is as good as anyone's. I suppose dseagrav might be on to something. Then again, if he's wrong, the truth shouldn't hurt.

My remark wasn't directed at the pilots. They have nothing to do with the article I linked. My remark is directed at the managers jumping through their <edit> trying to make an issue out of a dead marketing scheme that really should be seen as a joke and not an insult. By over-reacting to the "accusations" they're lending credibility to the idea.

If I call you a fag, and you laugh it off, it's no big deal.
If I call you a fag, and you make a big deal of it, we think you have something to hide.
See where this is going?

Last edited by a moderator:
1. Truth is subjective. That is a fact:)
2. AirTran making a stink over that ad, trying to maintain professionalism in the industry, maybe, easy advertising most likely

dseagrav said:
My remark wasn't directed at the pilots. They have nothing to do with the article I linked. My remark is directed at the managers jumping through their assholes trying to make an issue out of a dead marketing scheme that really should be seen as a joke and not an insult. By over-reacting to the "accusations" they're lending credibility to the idea.

If I call you a fag, and you laugh it off, it's no big deal.
If I call you a fag, and you make a big deal of it, we think you have something to hide.
See where this is going?

OK, I see what your angle is. Sorry for the confusion.

Carry on! :beer:

Latest resources

Back