Delay Vector?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Sundowner

Back in that NDB post, a couple of folks referred to requesting a "delay vector" from ATC when wanting to buy time for a better set-up. I understand the idea and have done that before by asking for specifically what I want (e.g. offset, etc). Were they using the term generically, or is there an actual term "delay vector", such that ATC would know what you want and automatically give it to you? I couldn't find it in the Pilot/Controller glossary. Thanks.

Delay Vectoring is an FAA internal term. There are two ways for ATC to handle an overflow of traffic. Altitude and Vectors (if space is available). Since the controllers have to answer to managers who have to be concerned with measuring tool like “Average Time in Sector” (see below), I’m sure the term “delay vector” has just crept into their everyday language. Now, most of us in the Northeast US are used to hearing the term.

I used to do some Computer Engineering work with the FAA. In our specs we had this definition:

"Average Time in Sector (Handoff to Handoff)" is a measure of sector efficiency. Increased time in sector may have indicated less efficient movement of aircraft in the airspace or controller-induced delay vectoring due to a traffic overload situation

Latest resources

Back