degree question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Dmflying said:
is it better to have a degree in aviation or a degree in another field to fall back on? let me know what you guys and gals think?

I was hired at both American Airlines and Delta Airlines with a Bachelors in Psychology. If that is an indication that HR Departments dont care what your degree is in than I dont know what is.

the reason for my question

i was only asking the degree question because i could not decide on if i should get a math science degree. or aviation science degree. i like both just couldnt make up my mind. thanks to everyone

Dmflying said:
i was only asking the degree question because i could not decide on if i should get a math science degree. or aviation science degree. i like both just couldnt make up my mind. thanks to everyone

If that is the question then go with the Math, you can do almost anything with it, including aviation. Just my 2 cents.

Best of luck,
VVJM265

Last edited:
viper548 said:
Better to have it in another field. What if you lose your medical? What else would you be qualified to do?

You could become a sim instructor or dispatcher at the same airline without the uncertainty of job hunting cold turkey.

Dmflying said:
is it better to have a degree in aviation or a degree in another field to fall back on? let me know what you guys and gals think?

I personally would get it in aviation. It will be a subject you are obviously motivated at, you will meet a great group of young people who are interested in the same things as you are (they might become life-long aviation pals/connections) and it will teach you a fair bit of the "book stuff" in aviation. Regardless, make sure you get a degree.

Notice that the thread subject was: what should I get my degree in? Also noticed that the responses were varied, but pilotyip is the only one who suggests that this individual skip college. If I am not mistaken his post is a cut and paste from an earlier post. Pilotyip, you are amazing. Keep beating that dead horse buddy.

WRV

Go math

Get your degree in math. Don't go to one of those big aviation schools; they are full of geeky guys that only talk about how good of a pilot they are and the lack of women makes it feel like you're in a prison.

Attend a regular university, party your a$$ off and meet people outside of your career. You need to diversify your background and getting a degree in aviation and then a job in aviation doesn't really classify as diverse.

Besides, that degree in math can open up so many other doors. The Air Force loves guys with a strong science / math background. If the civilian world doesn't work out you will always have the military as an option, assuming you're young enough.

best of luck!

Yea Vortex it is one of my canned posts for anytime someone suggests that you get a degree as a fall back option. It is a very alive horse. From my expereince an unused degree for a career pilot is almost useless. I see too many successful pilots making it without a degree. 7 of our pilots interviewed at a major, four had 4 yr degrees, 3 did not. 3 were hired 2 without degeees and 1 with a degree. If you want to be a pilot you have to fly airplanes. $100K/yr in 10 years in doable without a degree.

Get a degree that will enable you to become an entrepreneur. It boils down to going to a bank and persuading them that you need money and you have a fool proof plan to pay it back with interest. A lot of the airline guys I know have second careers on the side.

Latest resources

Back