degree question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

glenko

Has anyone been hired by the majors with a degree from Excelsior College or University of Maryland University College? Thay are both fully accredited institutions. Thanks in advance.

Glenko,

Everything that I've ever heard regarding college degrees and being hired by the majors points to having the degree, and not so much where it is from. As long as the end result is a 4 year degree from an accredited school, it shouldn't really make a difference as far as future plans of flying for the majors. Some would argue that it's better to have an aviation degree, while others insist that you have a "marketable" degree in order to do something other than aviation in the event that you need to. I say six in one hand, half a dozen in the other still equals twelve. It should really come down to which school is better from a cost, program offering, and quality of reputation standpoint. Just go with your gut, and either school will be fine.

I know this doesn't answer your questions regarding these specific schools, but hopefully it helps.

Just my $.02...

KingAirKiddo

College

I've seen elsewhere on the board about people being hired from Excelsior. What's most important is that your degree is from an accredited school. The accreditation you seek is from one of the major bodies recognized by the Department of Education, e.g., the New England Association, North Central Association, Southern Association, etc. Not from that wierd Swiss accrediting body that advertises on the internet.

Accredited colleges make a big deal about it. Look at or near the front of a college catalogue and you should find the school's accreditation information.

The aviation degree v. non-aviation degree debate rages on. What should be most important to you is the education and training you receive and its relevance to your plans. I had my B.S.B.A. long before I even thought about learning to fly, much less a professional aviation career. Thus, I figured I had the degree box checked when I embarked on a professional piloting career. If I had it to do over again, I would have found a good aviation college and earned a second B.S., in aviation. Not because I felt I should have an aviation degree to be successful or because showing TWO degrees would blow away the recruiting coneheads, but because I wanted the education. I feel that I missed out on a lot of learning that I should have had during my training.

Hope that helps a little. Good luck with finding a school that's right for you.

PS-University College is a part of the University of Maryland, right? Nothing wrong with a degree from there.

Last edited:
Simple answer...

Excelsior (Regents) - Yes
Maryland University College - No, but won't matter if it's accredited.

Latest resources

Back