Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Simon Says

New Airbus Regional Jet
Anybody do the Utah Valley University online degree here? If so, how did it work out getting a 4 year?

Pros and cons??

Anybody have any other suggestions of schools to get an acreddited degree online.

I have been doing it through UVU since 2005. I am in my last 3 classes. I would have finished in 4 years but I took a 2 semesters off (1) to focus on upgrade, (2) to focus on the birth of my child. I started with about 15 transfer credits from a community college. They also gave me about 30 credits for my ratings.

If I was to do it all over again, I would get ALL of my basics (science, math, history, english) at a community college, and then transfer. For 2 reasons: Online math is tough, and it makes financial sense ($150 a class at community college, it is about $500 a class at UVU) I paid as I went, with no loans, and will graduate in DEC. Everyone is different, do what you can.

The basic classes online were frustrating (to me), and I wanted to quit everyday, BUT once you get past the basic classes, the Aviation classes are EASY and fun.

Some people will tell you "an aviation degree is worthless, get something to fall back on." I dunno, I still have mixed feelings, but UVU offers other degrees as well, not just aviation related. I am getting it in aviation administration because I want to be in some form of management.

In this environment, YOU WILL NEED A DEGREE to make it to the majors. (except jetblue and southwest). It is a must, there is now way around it, unless you have naked pictures of the CEO with a goat.

I got on a low class regional to build my seniority, and PIC, and now I must finish my degree because it has always been a goal of mine to graduate.

Everyone is different, there is no one path to the big leagues. In my opinion, networking is more important than having a degree, but why not do both.

Best of luck,

Last edited:
According to CRJ200 pilot you don't need a degree because the only majors worth going to, Southwest and Jet Blue, don't need one..... You are good to go Simon Says!

You need a degree for Southwest and Jetblue as well. There are a few pilots working there without a degree but that is old news.

Of course, you realize this thread is like the "batman signal" to pilotyip?
Somewhere there is a red telephone ringing.

I did the UVU thing and got the sheepskin on the wall. It wasn't too expensive and the counselors are very helpful. The only bad thing about doing it online is lining up time to complete the coursework, of course I was married with two kids, a house, and an airline job when I completed it. Take my word for it, it's not the hardest thing in the world but you have to do work, a lot more than I ever anticipated. I had completed 86 semester units of undergrad general ed. courses before I transfered in, so it didn't take me but 2 years to finish. They gave me credit for practically all my ratings including my ATP. I would recommend them highly if you're going to do an online degree. The person to talk to is a guy named Theo. PM me if you have any more questions.

You need a degree for Southwest and Jetblue as well. There are a few pilots working there without a degree but that is old news.

Incorrect on jetBlue...The recent interviews, I know about 20+ without degrees who got the thumbs up.....jetBlue doesnt want anyone to leave...so not having a degree is actually a good thing for a blue candidate....

Last edited:
Of course, you realize this thread is like the "batman signal" to pilotyip?
Somewhere there is a red telephone ringing.

He's on his way. No doubt he will use his favorite reasoning that the Army Air Corps in the 1940s never required their pilots to have degrees.

smart stuff

I have been doing it through UVU since 2005. I am in my last 3 classes. I would have finished in 4 years but I took a 2 semesters off (1) to focus on upgrade, (2) to focus on the birth of my child. I started with about 15 transfer credits from a community college. They also gave me about 30 credits for my ratings.

If I was to do it all over again, I would get ALL of my basics (science, math, history, english) at a community college, and then transfer. For 2 reasons: Online math is tough, and it makes financial sense ($150 a class at community college, it is about $500 a class at UVU) I paid as I went, with no loans, and will graduate in DEC. Everyone is different, do what you can.

The basic classes online were frustrating (to me), and I wanted to quit everyday, BUT once you get past the basic classes, the Aviation classes are EASY and fun.

Some people will tell you "an aviation degree is worthless, get something to fall back on." I dunno, I still have mixed feelings, but UVU offers other degrees as well, not just aviation related. I am getting it in aviation administration because I want to be in some form of management.

In this environment, YOU WILL NEED A DEGREE to make it to the majors. (except jetblue and southwest). It is a must, there is now way around it, unless you have naked pictures of the CEO with a goat.

I got on a low class regional to build my seniority, and PIC, and now I must finish my degree because it has always been a goal of mine to graduate.

Everyone is different, there is no one path to the big leagues. In my opinion, networking is more important than having a degree, but why not do both.

Best of luck,
Congrats you did it the right way, no debt, building flight time while doing your degree. You check the magic box, but it has nothing to do with flying an airplane.

Latest resources

Back