Define: Flight Controls

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Way2Broke

What does the NTSB consider to be flight controls per NTSB part 830.5? The question came up if flaps are considered flight controls. I say no, but I can not find anything to back me up.

Last edited:
If you're ever unsure, call up your local office during normal business hours 8:30-4:30 and ask. They are not "primary control surfaces", according to the Gardena NTSB office, but it is not in writing.

The NTSB does NOT want to do any more paperwork than they already have and with a 2-3 year backlog on their current accidents, if the problem isn't major (i.e. 121 airliner with passengers aboard), they will tell you it doesn't need a report. If you don't make the call and ask, there are untold consequences, especially if the aircraft later crashes.

Calling the NTSB directly does not involve the FAA. The NTSB wants credit for solving whatever safety problem versus the FAA taking credit, so reports are not automatically forwarded. If you call the FAA Regional Operations Center because it's an item requiring an immediate report and after hours, the FAA will involve themselves including listening in to your conversation with the NTSB. If you do have to call, tell the duty officer that you need a call back from the NTSB.

There are plenty of consequences for making the phone call. Your mechanic, employer, coworkers, and others may shun you. You may have to find different ones of all of the above, if you can. There is a general phobia in aviation about involving the NTSB, definitely deserved.

But it beats seeing the wreckage of the plane you had a problem with on the evening news having killed people, and you didn't report the initial problem. It gets worse, you can bet you'll be on the witness stand trying to defend why you didn't call, when whatever problem 'obviously' (to greedy/grieving widow attorney logic) caused the accident.

They are flight controls, they're considered secondary flight controls like the trims, but flight controls non the less.

These are standard, but can vary with certain unusual airplanes...

Pimary Flight Controls:
Elevator
Rudder
Aileron
Spoilerons (on some airplanes)

Secondary Flight Controls:
Flaps
Spoilers
Slats
Trim Tabs
Parachute (just kidding, cirrus joke)
Etc.

So if a cessna 172's flap motor fails you must report it to the NTSB because it is a flight control malfunction? 830 does not say a "primary flight control malfunction" it only says "flight control".

For the sake of discussion lets say that they were used for a short field take off and retracted fine, but later would not extend.

I called, and according to the investigator I spoke with the intent of "Flight Control System" is a "Primary Flight Control Systems." Thus, an in flight flap malfunction is not reportable, because it is a secondary flight control system. Thanks for the relies, and expecially to JediNein for the idea to call.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back