Decline of pensions and the "Wal-Martization" of America

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Rez O. Lewshun said:
Survival of the fittest? Are your twin rotors beating your head sensless??

Wal Mart are captalist Nazi's,

....their blitzkreig is unrelenting, they "liberate" small towns only to alienate themsleves and they force thier will on EVEYONE! (municipalities, venders, customers, citizens, etc...).

Why the heck do I need a gallon of Vlasic pickels for $2.99? I can't eat them that fast, they end up getting moldy and thrown out...

Sooner or later, (later probably) Wal Mart will fall from grace. Nothing last for ever and sheeple will find the new flavor of the month, without learning...
Capitalistic? Hmmm, I seem to remember that our whole country is built upon that as one of our main principles. Then again, you are free to shop somewhere else. However, do remember that Sam started out small, found a niche, and continuously improved his business plan despite Sears, K-Mart, and WoolWorth's etc. being exponentially larger.

"Hatred is gained as much by good works as by evil." Niccolo Machiavelli

Costco Proves That the Wal-Mart Model Isn't the Only Path to Success
Business Week:
James Sinegal is the CEO of Costco Wholesale Corp., which compensates its workers far better than rival Wal-Mart Stores does. A recent study by BusinessWeek found that by paying its employees more, Costco gets lower turnover and higher productivity. That, coupled with a business strategy that includes a mix of higher-margin products, enables Costco to keep its labor costs lower than Wal-Mart's as a percentage of sales (see BW, 4/12/04, "The Costco Way"). Sinegal recently spoke about Costco's strategy with BusinessWeek Associate Editor Michelle Conlin. Edited excerpts from their conversation follow:
Q: Is your treatment of employees limited to those in the U.S.?
A: In every country where we conduct business, we pay good wages. Not just the U.S. We have Costcos in the UK, Canada, Mexico, Japan, South Korea, Taiwan, and Puerto Rico. We always strive to be the best in the wage package.

Q: Why?
A: We think it's good business. In the final analysis, you get what you pay for. Better employees mean higher productivity. We've proven that with our business model. We want to turn our inventory faster than our people. We are a company that promotes 100% within the company. So it's even more important to hire good people and give them good jobs and good wages. They are the people who are going to run your business.

Q: What about your competition that pays workers rock-bottom wages?
A: We obviously think that's wrong. It doesn't pay the right dividends. It doesn't keep employees happy. It keeps them looking for other jobs. Plus, managers spend all their time hiring replacements rather than running your business. We would rather have our employees running our business. When employees are happy, they are your very best ambassadors.

Q: Yet you've paid a price on Wall Street for that.
A: If we take care of the business and keep our eye on the goal line, the stock price will take care of itself. You just can't get too focused on worrying about what's going to happen in the next quarter. You have to worry about where the business is headed long-term.

Q: Do you support the effort to increase the minimum wage?
A: It's a political issue. But I think that we've always been in favor of improved wages for workers. When you have a strong middle class, they want to buy more stuff at Costco. It doesn't do Costco any good if nobody can afford to buy anything.

UPDATE: Truck and Barter has an interesting post looking at a study by Deutsche Bank on the differences in wages, productivity and profits at Costco and Sam's Club.

"capatalist nazi's"...

one smart mofo there......

Capatalism is the backbone of Americas economy.

Jealous of the Waltons riches? Go out and stake you claim you whining prik. You have more opportunities here in America than anywhere on the planet

Move to Sweden of you want the gubament to wipe your a$$ crybaby.

Last edited:
I support capaltalism....

just not hyper comsumption captalism. Too much of anything isn't good. Sure, we all love Sam Waltons rags to riches story, but he got dead and then Wal-Mart changed.....

The Costco post has great indicators....that is why I patronize Costco and not Sam's Club, which is, of course, owned by WalMart. I do choose where I shop and what policies I support with my dollar. I don't want to support a company that is hyper wealthy on the top end but refuses to provide decent health care for its employees....

But hey, what ever the flock is doing is fine with me..... I mean if the flock is doing it then it must be ok/right/correct....

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back