• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Debt Servicing Question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
AA717 Driver has the info. We are seeing a few older UAL and NWA pilots show up at SWA. They won't be going back.

Part of the $20B debt figure are lease obligations. The $14B in loans creates about $1B of debt payments at 7% (P+I) every year for AMR. AMR just announced they will put an extra $1B toward debt this year. AMR is in good shape. UAL may be too. Should we count the lease obligations as debt?? I don't know. If they give back the leased items the obligation goes away. Fedex has HUGE lease obligations for upcoming and current aircraft above stated debt but they have the revenue to service it.

UAL has about $11B in loan debt, so I'm told. I think UAL has significant unencumbered assets that could be used for collateral if needed for more loans. Delta is more in hock. Don't know about NWA or CAL.

Wallstreet and management are hoping international routes throw off enough profit to service the debt and start paying down on it.

BTW a friend of mine just went back to UAL (he is not at SWA). He thinks things will turn up this year and I'm buying his argument. But I don't think he will turn down an interview from FedEx. I hope SARS or Bird flu don't screw up pacific routes again.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back