• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Diesel said:
We need to do three things-

1. Hire more dispatchers.
2. Make them fleet specific
3. End the "file and forget" rush rush rush by using step 1 and 2.
4. Make it a real joint release. Your certificate plus mine is on the line.
5. Use better software. No more of this jumping through 3 different programs to make a release.

It's a thankless job that is dealing with an environment that is constantly changing.

agree, there needs to be accountability up there! not one single person is accountable for their mistakes.

Dispatchnja

You're right. the pilots are. :)

dsptchrNJA said:
Not true at all.

ok examples -
i get released to TEB- twice! we can't even go there!
i get released to a closed airport
flight plan filed for altitude over our capability for weight/temp - by 6000'
flight plan filed directly through a typhoon
crewmembers left off w&b
heavy crew, their bags not accounted for in w&b
atlantic crossing w/no etp's in paperwork
atlantic crossing w/no TMI message - happens frequently
full-power (27k) takeoff but too light for that power setting
illegal alternate filed
no alternate filed

these are some pretty basic things! if i didn't catch them, i'd be doing the BWAY1 arrival.

bizjet737 said:

Come on-no derate, no assumed temp-those are the fun ones.
:)

Fly Safe
Chuck
ps ever have a copilot change the take off runway in the box and froget to redo the derate and assumed temp-instant fullpower takeoff.

Last edited:
dsptchrNJA,

I appreciate the honest response. We have all been critical of NJA dispatch from time to time so any tool that will make your job and ours a little better I'm sure were all in favor.
As always there will be some growing pains and everyone needs to remember that.

bizjet737 said:
ok examples -
crewmembers left off w&b
illegal alternate filed
no alternate filed

these are some pretty basic things! if i didn't catch them, i'd be doing the BWAY1 arrival.

For the sake of argument, lets say these were all true... What makes you think we have no accountability for our errors? Again, I'm telling you, we do.

bizjet737 said:

For starters, I know for a fact you have never been released to TEB because the airport doesn't even exist in the Boeing Laptop Tool database. We can't even start a release until it's in there. You may have been "scheduled" to go to TEB. Can't help you there.

bizjet737 said:

If it was actually NOTAM closed at the time of release (was it?), I can gaurantee you the Dxr was held accountable.

bizjet737 said:

Domestic or International? If domestic and the flight plan ran without errors at time of the release then it was obviously a valid plan. Releasing you 4-6 hours before you even leave, than a add a few hours on top of that leaves a lot of room for the Winds/Temps aloft to change from what they were forecasted. That's part of the reason why we give you so much extra fuel in case it is necessary to go lower.

bizjet737 said:

Can't help you, Dispatchers are domestic only (+CAN). You have an issue with Jepps IFP, not DX.

(Yes, we all remember the typhoon, and yes, Jepps was held accountable and changes were made as a result. Question also came up as to why the crew got all the way there before they themselves realized they were headed for a typhoon?)

bizjet737 said:
crewmembers left off w&b
illegal alternate filed
no alternate filed

All very basic DX functions using the software and training we are provided with. I'm assuming you discussed all of them with your dispatcher to find out what the problem was. If the dispatcher was negligent I can assure you he/she was held accountable. In fact the BBJ program is is scrutinized more than any other program at NJA. I have personally been held accountable for a larger number of BBJ issues, which make up the smallest percentage of my releases, than all the other programs combined.

Diesel said:
Dispatchnja

You're right. the pilots are. :)

Yes you are, probably more so than the dispatcher. And rightly so. You have been given a greater responsibility.

Don't forget, however, at the beginning of the day we are both putting our license on the line. It is a joint release process just as the FOM stipulates.

Leaky, Tx for example. The FAA investigators didn't just interview the pilots. The release was pulled and the dispatcher was also questioned during the investigation and was held accountable for his part of the flight.

dsptchr,

Great info on the previous page! I learned more there than the last three briefs on dispatch in recurrent!

See kids, you can learn on flightinfo.com!

Hey,nineteen, that's Aretha Franklin.

Why is the Dan now "classic rock" ? Seems like I just bought those LP's a couple of weeks ago. Can't mean I'm getting old, can it?

Latest resources

Back