De-Icing fluid price gouging?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

maximizer

What are people paying for De-Icing fluid? It seems to me it is a perfect commodity & service that can be used to enhance a "bottom-line". What do you think?What is the going rate this year?

I've just been setting up the de-ice program for the FBO I work at; cheapest price I found to buy the stuff in less than 1000 gallon lots was $8.75/gallon. Then I called around, seems like most smaller town FBOs are charging $10-$15/ gallon. In some cases, there is also a $50-$150 service charge. Of course, that's just the small towns. Places like Jackson Hole and JFK might charge a wee bit more. Also, bear in mind that it takes 10 gallons or more of gas to heat it up every time.

Just paid a little over $1600 in Bedford,MA and couple weeks ago for a beechjet.

How about 18,000 for a B757 at IAD. Delta Air Lines had a flat rate for a B747 of 8,500, so you know your getting screwed when the FBO is charging 18K for a deice!

In IAD Landmark charges $18/gal type 1 and $28/gal type 4.

We paid $1800 for about 6.5 minutes of de-ice there last week. We got the bill and called IAD Landmark. There was no way that they used 110 gallons of Type I in that about of time. We only had about 1/8" of ice on the airplane. I saw them spray and it was on and off at best during that timeframe.

They told me "well, that's what the truck readout was sir."

It's a scam like a Signature "security fee"!

Most trucks have some sort of a meter on them as to what they are using. Take a reading of it before they start spraying and compare that to your bill.

Most trucks have some sort of a meter on them as to what they are using. Take a reading of it before they start spraying and compare that to your bill.

Unfortunately when I get deiced we pull up with the engines running they deice and we pull away. No chance of checking there meter.

Lazy, that does not sound unreasonable at all. 6.5 min, they could have spewed a LOT more than 110 gallons. It comes out of that 1.5" hose pretty damn quick. And ice of course is going to take more energy to remove than a bit of snow.

20 years ago, I worked at an FBO, and the de-ice really boosted the bottom line. The president always called it "Liquid Gold".

Latest resources

Back