• Friendliest aviation community on the web

737 Pylt

Um....Floats anyone??
Like Clockwork: Hour of Delay, Hour of Flight
Delta Shuttle From N.Y. to D.C. Arrived Late Every Time in September

By Del Quentin Wilber
Washington Post Staff Writer
Monday, November 13, 2006; Page A01

Few things are certain in air travel today, but one comes close: If you're on Delta Connection Flight 5283 from New York to Washington, you can expect to be late.

The flight had the nation's worst on-time performance in September, arriving late 100 percent of the time at Reagan National Airport, according to a recent government report.

Its average delay: 1 hour and 19 minutes. Actual flying time: 53 minutes. Much of the delay is spent on the tarmac, waiting for other planes to take off at John F. Kennedy International Airport.

Sounds like an ATC problem, but of course your going to blame it on CMR.

I'm not blaming it on anyone. The problem is, when a customer buys a ticket on DL from Paris to DCA, connecting through JFK, all they can remember is that the second part of their trip on "Delta" was awful. They don't know "comair" from ASA, they only know it is a "Delta" ticket.
I'm based at JFK, and have been #45 for takeoff, as they snake us around the entire airport taxiing for departure, especially when the weather is afu!

I'm not blaming it on anyone. The problem is, when a customer buys a ticket on DL from Paris to DCA, connecting through JFK, all they can remember is that the second part of their trip on "Delta" was awful. They don't know "comair" from ASA, they only know it is a "Delta" ticket.
I'm based at JFK, and have been #45 for takeoff, as they snake us around the entire airport taxiing for departure, especially when the weather is afu!

But are you saying that it is CMRs problem? They can not help ATC delays anymore than you can, and like it or not Delta chose to put their name on CMRs aircraft, so yes they are representing you, and as far as some CMR pilots are concerned you are also representing them.

That's nothing!! I have been 70+ more than once at JFK. The evening push (7ish to 9ish) was always a cluster....

It's either Comair or Delta's fault (probably a little of both). They need to schedule realistic block times through JFK, and the minimum turn time should be one hour (at least). If they won't support the operation (more ramp agents, tugs, tow bars, et cetera) then they should at least admit that it's terrible and schedule accordingly.

As an ASA FRHSC (Formerly-Red -Headed-Step-Child) pilot, I can say many of our problems are directly related to Delta. The list is obvious and long, but it all comes down to the fact that Delta doesn't care. They want the feed cheap and safe. We give them that in spades.

Every other quantifiable measure of our performance is so far in the crapper, we look up at buttcracks with high power telescopes. Delta is fine with it, as long as the fast and cheap happens. Hey, this is the AAAYYY TEEE EELLL!!

My point is proven by this: Delta bought us from George and John in order to improve our service and have direct control over our operation. In all those years they owned us, they did squat. Same open ramps with no cover when it rains. Wheelchair passengers left in the rain. Understaffed....the list goes on. And don't forget, Delta moved our bags until very recently.

This will not change until Delta wants it changed. Brian and Jerry (Jerry A.) have no say in the matter. They won't sacrifice the profit margins (which is what it would take).

Sounds like an ATC problem, but of course your going to blame it on CMR.

No, it's a DAL marketing (they make the schedules) problem. If a flight is consistently delayed on the ground waiting for departure, then that time needs to be built into the scheduled block time.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back