Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Rook

And shepherds we shall be
Now bear with me because I dont have my charts with me this weekend. When flying the river visual departure off of runway 1 in DCA, when given your initial altitude, are you supposed to climb normally to your initial altitude while following the river to keep you out of the Prohibited areas? Or do you do the noise abatement procedure(remember I don't have my charts) and wait until you're a certain DME from DCA before proceeding with a normal rate of climb? Going to DCA soon and just need some advice. Thanks in advance.

Rook

Been out of DCA many times over the past two years. The only departure procedure I've ever gotten or used off of runway 1 is a left turn to intercept the 328 radial off of DCA (111.0). You don't need to follow the river on departure, just make a sharp left turn as soon as altitude permits to stay clear of the east side of the river and avoid P-56 and intercept the radial. Track the radial outbound until departure tells you different up to 5000. I know the charts specify a noise abatement procedure of reducing thrust to climb at 500 fpm at 1500 ft, but the first time or two I went in there I tried this and departure complained about the climb rate. They prefer a normal climb rate (for an RJ at least) and our company agrees with that. DCA is a great airport to fly into, expecially if you're doing the River Visual 19. Good luck.

The river visual is an arrival not a departure.

Off of 1 it's the P-56 avoidance procedure as described in the previous post.

When you get your charts look close at the noise abatement climb procedure. I believe it only applies to certain aircraft, and the ERJ/CRJ are aircraft that it DOES NOT apply to. Like one poster already said, DCA wants you up and out fast. They rather you climb like a raped ape and gain altitude fast verse climbing gradually while increasing speed.

tk

Latest resources

Back