Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

SAAB Driver

Thats Hot
CoPilot Doug brought up a good question concerning the L-1011. I see many operators using the DC8 but other than the Air Force Reserve/Guard, I don't see any 707's being used. Anyone know why that is?

Maybe the stretched 8's with the new fans are more efficient. Just a guess.

Your absolutely right. The fact that there never was anything bigger than the B707-320C limited it's desireability to second tier freight haulers. Also, even though there are C135's that have been re-engined, the 707 did not make the cut for the very same reason, the cost of upgrading the engines on a 707 was hard to justify, when you could get more lift out of a DC8, 61 or 63. The DC8 airframe was very rugged and compared to the B707, had a degree of durability not seen in the Boeing airframes of that generation, this according to Boeing engineers themselves.

There are still some 707's flying cargo, might be one or two pax birds left, but both kinds are mostly found in thirdworld countries.

The DC-8, due to design, was much easier to stretch. The 707 due to the short landing gear would have tail issues.

Since there were quite a few DC-8's in service, UAL was operating quite a few, a company called Gamma Corp, which was mostly ex Douglas employees, designed the pylon modification which could incorporate the CFM's.

The stretched 8 was by far the most popular for the modification, becoming DC8-71 or DC8-72, however, there were a few of the DC8-62's that become -72's. The one was for an arms dealer, another belonged to Aramco and I believe NASA operated one, now with UND I believe.

I guess the short story is, that the 8 just offered more bang for the buck!

Some more info on the Mighty 8: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DC-8

Last edited:
I was looking at airliners.net into the size and weights of the aircraft and never considered the length. Is there a standard size pallet in the cargo world? If there is, any info on its size, the load it can take, and how many can fit on a DC-8?

Lastly, with hush kits a requirement of stage III, in 1999, did those aircraft take a hit on fuel burn to achieve the noise compliance?

There are still some 707's flying cargo, might be one or two pax birds left, but both kinds are mostly found in thirdworld countries.

The DC-8, due to design, was much easier to stretch. The 707 due to the short landing gear would have tail issues.

Since there were quite a few DC-8's in service, UAL was operating quite a few, a company called Gamma Corp, which was mostly ex Douglas employees, designed the pylon modification which could incorporate the CFM's.

The stretched 8 was by far the most popular for the modification, becoming DC8-71 or DC8-72, however, there were a few of the DC8-62's that become -72's. The one was for an arms dealer, another belonged to Aramco and I believe NASA operated one, now with UND I believe.

The NASA/UND DC8 is sitting out at KMCC (McClellan) undergoing a D check. More patches and protrusions on that aircraft than a porcupine. I understand that a group of former UPS age 60+ guys fly it when it's inservice. Please, lets not hijack this otherwise intersesting string with some age 60 comments.

I guess the short story is, that the 8 just offered more bang for the buck!

Some more info on the Mighty 8: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DC-8

Just to clarify a -71 is a -61 with the CFM engines. Same airframe, different powerplant. Same goes for a -73 or -72

I was looking at airliners.net into the size and weights of the aircraft and never considered the length. Is there a standard size pallet in the cargo world? If there is, any info on its size, the load it can take, and how many can fit on a DC-8?

Lastly, with hush kits a requirement of stage III, in 1999, did those aircraft take a hit on fuel burn to achieve the noise compliance?

I think the CFM's were Stage 3 out of the box and certainly a lot more fuel efficient than the JT3D's that were originally installed. Don't know about the containers. I think most 3rd world operators simply free load the cargo and strap it down on pallets or cookie sheets as they are sometimes called.

If it is old, in the air and in commercial service it says 'Douglass Commercial' on the registration. There are still DC-3's, 4's and 6's in the air. There are no Boeing 247's or StratoCruisers in commercial use. There are still several hundred DC-8's in use. There are just a handfull of 707's in civilian use. There are still several hundred DC-9-30's in scheduled use. I don't think there are any 737-100's in scheduled service. The only life limited airframe part in the DC-9-30 is the aft pressure bulkhead at 120,000 cycles. And there is an $800,000 fix for that.

Is the the KC-135 a 707 or DC-8? I always thought it was a 707. I see quite a few at Grissom ARB (GUS) when I drive by on 31.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back