DC-9's, MD-80, Fokker's

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

PhatAJ2008

I see many of these aircraft being retired every day.. I guess larger, rear-engine aircraft are a thing of the past? I still believe the quietest plane I have ever flown in was an MD-80, sitting forward... Sorry to see these planes go.

How about the MD-90s? What happened to all of them? Isn't Delta still flying a few of them? A couple guys who have flown the DC-9 series chipped in on another thread and mentioned that they're some of the most enjoyable aircraft to fly in terms of handling/performance.

Yes, the MD90 too... Why didn't the Boeing 717 ever catch on? Heard they decided to stop building that too...

As my name implies, I love the 717. I would have stayed on it for the rest of my career... Had my career not outlasted the 717 (at least at AA)!

If I could pick one airliner to just go fly, it would be the DC9-30. It was wonderful. It flew better than the 717--I never really got the landings as well as I did on the -9. The 717 had the creature comforts--great air conditioning, the avionics, bags of power and good fuel economy.

The -80 was lambasted by many Boeing guys at my airline but it flew pretty well and had a lot of power.

All three had their good points and I loved flying all of them.TC

Hi!

I know an airline that just bought a -9 to put into passenger service-so there is some demand for them.

The MD-92/-717 is an excellent airplane, from the pilot's point of view. I think it is too big and too expensive per seat/seat mile to operate as efficiently as is requred in today's environment.

I rode in the cockpit of an MD-80 once, and it felt "like" the cockpit was going to shake itself apart-loud, vibrating, shaking-nothing like the smooth ride in the -717.

Cliff
YIP

Last edited:
atpcliff said:
Hi!

I rode in the cockpit of an MD-80 once, and it felt the cockpit was going to shake itself apart.

Cliff
YIP

??????????

If I ever get enough money, I'm buying myself a DC-9. I want to take it to TEB on a sunday morning and fire wall the take off. What would the neighbors think?

Isn't the 717 pretty much the whole basis for AirTran's fleet? I know they've got some 737's but I thought the 717 was the main deal. ?

Latest resources

Back