DC-9/B717 Type question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

trainerjet

I believe that I read somewhere on this board at one time that the B717 was a separate type rating from a DC9/MD-80, etc. However, this is a direct quote from the most recent Flight Standardization Board (FSB) Report from the FAA regarding the DC-9 and all it's variants.

2. PILOT "TYPE RATING" REQUIREMENTS.

In accordance with the provisions of FAR 1 and 61, the same pilot "type rating" is assigned to all DC-9/MD-80/MD-90/and 717 variants listed in paragraph 1.3, and is designated "DC-9".

1.3 This report addresses DC-9 variant models, including: DC-9-11, -12, -13, -14, -15, -15F, -21, -31, -32 (VC-9C), -32F, (C9A C-9B), -33F, -34, -34F, -41, -51, and MD-80 variant models including: DC-9-81 (MD-81), DC-9-82 (MD-82), DC-9-83, (MD-83), DC-9-87 (MD-87), MD-88, MD-90-30, MD-90EFD, and 717. Refer to FAA Type Certificate Data Sheet A6WE.

So, I guess my question is this...Does anyone out there have a "717" type rating, or does it say "DC-9"? Is there anyone out there that was already typed in a DC-9 and then checked out on the 717? Did you get a seperate type?

Thanks for any input. Mainly just to satisfy my curiosity, because it sure appears from the FAAs FSB report that it's the same type rating.

A Boeing 717 is really a MD-95 that the people in Seattle renamed.

It's a DC-9 variant and a common type rating.

Don't know where you got the idea to the contrary but as Surplus1 says the 717 is a DC9 type.

I just transitioned to the MD80 from the 717 from whence I'd transitioned from the DC9. Both transitions were actually differences training and I wasn't subject to hi-minimums restrictions once checked out. (Kinda scary but we could have a captain and FO on their first post-IOE flights in an MD80 shooting Cat III approaches. So says the FAA.)

Thanks for the replies. That's what I thought, and the FSB report (at least I thought it did) confirmed it. That's why I looked it up in the first place. Just wanted some first-hand information. I'll do a search of this site and try and find the post that said it was a separate type. That's where I got the idea to the contrary, and it made me think. I've flown most of the MD-80 variants with only differences training, so I assumed the same could be done with a 717.

Thanks again.

My first and only type was in the 717....my license says DC-9. Its just a varient.

Boeing barely pulled it off but they convinced the FAA to make it a varient. That was a big selling point to current MD80/90 DC9 operators.

One interesting thing, the APU is perectly capable of providing cabin air and pressurization in flight but its not certified to do so simply because the FAA said enough is enough on the differences.

Actually and MD-11 pilot would be more at home in the cockpit than and MD80/DC9 pilot.

Latest resources

Back