DC-8's @ BWI

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

chawbein

What company flies DC-8's out of BWI? White plane with light blue stripes.

I thought it was cool, because I've never seen a DC-8 in person....

Oh yeah, anybody flown into Jackson, Mississippi? There's a big ass bump on the runway that scared the poo out of my wife!!

DC8's

A.T.I.

The name of the company is Air Transport International, they operate DC8's all over the world for the US government/military.

We do ...

The previous post was right. I fly for Air Transport International (ATI) The 8's you see in BWI are the combis we operate for AMC to Lajes in the Azores and Thule, Greenland. They have 32 pax in the back with two FAs and 10 pallet positions. The Avatar I have is the new paint scheme that you might see in the future. We recently acquired 73 series from Emery that have been retrofitted with semi-glass intruments. 2 CRT with various modes for display. The 8 is the only jet I have ever flown. I truly enjoy flying it. Lots of hand flown approaches to mins.

Take care.

If you want any pics let me know....

Pics would be awesome!! send me some. One of my career goals is to fly DC-8's for UPS, probably a pipe dream....

DC8Driver

Whats it like working for ATI?? What is your schedule like?? Do you get to go anywhere interesting?

Doesn't matter what knd of dream..

Doesn't matter what kind of dream it is, at least you have one. I remmember the days when I was a baggage loader in Miami on the Suriname DC8's and the Rich Internationals and said to my self that one day I would be there. I also remmember the days when UPS was starting to bring their flying inhouse. I was driving a delivery truck taking chilled tuna and tropical fish to the Crystal Palace in Miami where it was loaded into a UPS plane for shiping to Asia. I also said to myself I would someday fly for them. I loaded package cars for UPS for 3 years in Miami and the closest I have been to them was their cockpit jumpseat when I was flying Caravans out or Raleigh for them. So whether its a pipe dream or not, at least it's a dream that can be reached with betters odds then winning the lottery. I have to admit I'm getting closer.

Regards..

What is it like....hmmm

:cool: It's a great job. I'm sitting in a hotel in Louisville, KY, having returned from Shannon, Ireland, Stansted, England with a load of horses. Going tommorrow to Anchorage, lay over for 26 hrs while airplane goes to Asia and back.
The schedules are typically 8-10 days on domestic with a week off and internationally aboyt 16 on 12 off. We do lots of military charters. I have been to lots of interesting places worldwide. The airplanes are great old dinosaurs. The crews are for the most part very knowledgable old timers that make an 8hr leg kinda interesting with their stories.

Sounds like an awesome job!! Why am I saying job, flying could never be a "job" for me. Sounds like you got a great gig.

Latest resources

Back