• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Otto77

Snacko
Hey guys,
Looking for some techniques to make a smooth landing. I've just had my first few sims in the kc10 and lucked out on the first landing but since then the rest have been "slam and go's" haha. What alt do you start the flare process? I'm doing my power pull at about 10% gross weight which some of my instructors have told me ..but otherwise the plane has a real artificial feel to thus far..feels weird but Ill get used to it. Thanks for any info!

Start walking the throttles back at 50 feet. Then at 30 feet begin the flare and reduce the throttles. If you flare at the same rate you reduce the throttles it seems to work out pretty well. Also the importance of having a stabilized descent rate below 500 feet can't be overemphasized. It is hard to arrest a high sink rate close to the ground. I hope that gives you something to work with.

thanks..well I started what I thought was the flare today right after the 50 ft call and still managed to get a "firm" landing..i still am not used to using some good muscle force to pull the yoke back..just feels unnatural..still used to cable flight controls. Should I just go for one smooth pull back on the yoke much like the rotation for t/o?

thanks for the help

50 feet is usually too high. Listen to the Mr. Douglas voice counting down your altitude. If he counts 50, 40 20... ouch is usually the next response. (missing the 10 foot call because you are coming down too fast!
the faster the calls, the faster the rotation! You want a nice 50.... 40.... 20.... 10....and just hold what you've got and take the nice touchdown. Don't reduce throttles until you feel them coming back at 20 feet. I usually confirm they are disconnected on the rollout. It fly's just like a big C172, but just be aware of the momentum all the weight carries. Like all aircraft, sight down the length of the runway in the flare. Faster countdown, faster rotation and don't close throttles at 50 feet works for me. ( 9 years in the ten here. I've slammed them on and greased them as well. When I can't figure what I'm doing wrong, I review the green tab normal procedures for normal landings. It usually helps me get back on track.
Good luck, and enjoy flying the big old baby buggy!
BTW, in the sim, shoot for 250-300 feet over the strobes and you'll be in the touchdown zone every time!

Last edited:
Exactly. Mr Fedora has some good techniques there. You can get good landings bringing the throttles back at 50 ft. but it is much harder to do. Believe it or not that's what the AFM says to do. But yeah, listen to the bitch box. It'll give you a good idea how hard to flare. But usually if it counts down fast, you've set up a sink rate that is too fast earlier in the approach. Also some guys pull #2 to idle at 50 ft and that initiates a bit of pitch up to start the flare. Some instructors don't like that technique though.

Assuming your on speed and IVSI at 50 ft .At 30 ft raise the nose 2D then at 20 ft 2D more while closing the throttles and looking long down the runway. You should roll it on.

50 feet is usually too high. Listen to the Mr. Douglas voice counting down your altitude. If he counts 50, 40 20... ouch is usually the next response. (missing the 10 foot call because you are coming down too fast!
the faster the calls, the faster the rotation! You want a nice 50.... 40.... 20.... 10....and just hold what you've got and take the nice touchdown. Don't reduce throttles until you feel them coming back at 20 feet. I usually confirm they are disconnected on the rollout. It fly's just like a big C172, but just be aware of the momentum all the weight carries. Like all aircraft, sight down the length of the runway in the flare. Faster countdown, faster rotation and don't close throttles at 50 feet works for me. ( 9 years in the ten here. I've slammed them on and greased them as well. When I can't figure what I'm doing wrong, I review the green tab normal procedures for normal landings. It usually helps me get back on track.
Good luck, and enjoy flying the big old baby buggy!
BTW, in the sim, shoot for 250-300 feet over the strobes and you'll be in the touchdown zone every time!
Listen to Fedora. That is probably the best technique for the 10. The only thing I would add is when you hear the 10 ft callout "slightly" pull back then release pressure then push about an inch fwd. Sounds complicated but really isn't. I flew the 10 with fedora many times he knows what he's talking about. It worked really well for me the 2 years I flew it. Good Luck. It's a really nice airplane to fly.
Louie

Hey guys,
Looking for some techniques to make a smooth landing. I've just had my first few sims in the kc10 and lucked out on the first landing but since then the rest have been "slam and go's" haha. What alt do you start the flare process? I'm doing my power pull at about 10% gross weight which some of my instructors have told me ..but otherwise the plane has a real artificial feel to thus far..feels weird but Ill get used to it. Thanks for any info!

No sim flies or lands like the airplane it's supposed to represent. While in the sim, try for "target" landings. Don't worry about it seeming "firm" unless the instructor tells you "you just blew 4 tires." Most are looking for positive control and landing in the TDZ. The visuals and lack of accelleration ques (sp), i.e. "seat of the pants" will throw you off in the sim. With your peripheral vision use the runway edge lights to guage your height. If your change of angle rate with those lights is near zero when "Betty" calls "10" that will help smooth things out.

Good luck.

Listen to Fedora. That is probably the best technique for the 10. The only thing I would add is when you hear the 10 ft callout "slightly" pull back then release pressure then push about an inch fwd. Sounds complicated but really isn't. I flew the 10 with fedora many times he knows what he's talking about. It worked really well for me the 2 years I flew it. Good Luck. It's a really nice airplane to fly.
Louie
If you can push that inch forward prior to having the ground spoilers deploy it will give you a very smooth landing. It's kinda tricky to get though. If you goof and get that forward push after the spoilers deploy then you'll slam it on pretty good.

All good points. I agree with the comment about releasing the back presure, that seems to be the trick. It's all in the timing, though. After arresting the descent, if you release a small amount of back pressure just before the mains touch down you "can" come up with some very smooth landings.

On a side note. I still seem to have a battle with thrust reversers after almost every landing. Is it just me?

gotta love the 10.

Latest resources

Back