Days Off

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

SwissAviator

working an 8/7 or 7/7 schedule seems like seven days off is a lot of free time. What do you guys do to keep yourself occupied i.e. other jobs, golf, own business?

thanks

8/7 or 7/7 sounds like a lot of time off, but after you have been out for the 7 or 8 or 9 days straight, the 7 off go by faster than you would think, especially if you have small kids at home. Don't get me wrong, it beats the $hit out of 5/2,5/3/,4/3,4/2,3/2. I do 7/7 and it's great only to have to get to work twice a month, basically.:D

7&7

7 0n-7 off is the only good thing in this TA. If I could hold it now, I'd try picking up a little part time work at Home Depot or with a restaurant.

It's really tough getting any part time work with a 17 day sched that comes out on the 15th of the previous month. So even though this TA doesn't come with a COLA raise, it should make it easier to make ends meet. Although with the new work rules and increased flying, I may be too tired. Time will tell. . . .

With the TA the way it is... You will HAVE to get a part time job to survive.

XTW said:
8/7 or 7/7 sounds like a lot of time off, but after you have been out for the 7 or 8 or 9 days straight, the 7 off go by faster than you would think, especially if you have small kids at home. Don't get me wrong, it beats the $hit out of 5/2,5/3/,4/3,4/2,3/2. I do 7/7 and it's great only to have to get to work twice a month, basically.:D

I thought CS only had the 7/7 schedules. If u get one of the diff. schedules listed above, do u usually get a mix or do they alternate throughout the month? Also, w/ the 7/7, are u typically gone ALL day for ALL 7 days. A 7 day sched wouldn't be too bad if u were airlined out late on day 1 and finish early on day 7.

DLconnection said:
I thought CS only had the 7/7 schedules. If u get one of the diff. schedules listed above, do u usually get a mix or do they alternate throughout the month? Also, w/ the 7/7, are u typically gone ALL day for ALL 7 days. A 7 day sched wouldn't be too bad if u were airlined out late on day 1 and finish early on day 7.
CS does only have 7/7. I only mentioned the others as a comparison. I have had the other schedules in previous lives. Some I commuted to and some I was based at home. 7/7 still is better. IMHO.

XTW

PS I forgot about the second question. Every tour is different. Not always gone all 7 days. Last tour they never called me, so I was off. Other times I have finished up early or started later. They are doing a lot of training now, so that could have something to do with it.

Last edited:
7 off is nice...

but you really do need to use some of those days to try to bring in some extra dough considering the low SIC pay. I initally did this by substitute teaching 2-3 days a week, that at least paid for the two rounds of golf that I'd play during the 7 off. Nothing other than a degree required (don't even have to spell well as you'll find on this post), your biggest task is classroom management, and most places have a very flexible telephonic "subfinder" system for assignments. Jr High and HS are easiest. Could pull in between $65 and $70 an assignment, the schools REALLY want men in classrooms, and if you find the right school to for a "habitual" relationship with... the other teachers will bend over backwards to help ya. That only works during the school year obviously and isn't bad if I you only have to do it for a year or two until upgrade comes. Alas, 3 years as an SIC, with no upgrade on the horizon, the thought of subbing for a 3rd year was just too much! Now looking for other "flexible" part-time work , or better paying full-time flying, since the kid at home now needs braces and upgardes at FLOPS are basically non-existent for small cabin SICs... thanks all you guys working OT (gotta get my dig in on that little issue).

flyr4hirebut you really do need to use some of those days to try to bring in some extra dough considering the low SIC pay. I initally did this by substitute teaching 2-3 days a week, that at least paid for the two rounds of golf that I'd play during the 7 off.

When are we gonna get it! I thought that I was in a profession. I thought that this was a career? Why should we professional pilots have to get a side job. When I was a bartender I had 2 jobs. I'm a _ucking pilot, why do we need 2 jobs. I work 8/7 and during those 8 days I actually 2weeks in 8 days, so that is why I get 7days off

thanks all you guys working OT (gotta get my dig in on that little issue.

Then if OT is your beef, then do something about it, send in your _ucking card. Or tell me a real way to fix it. Mr Nahill will do probably anything to not have a union here.

I wonder how many of our upper manangement are looking for second job
Could you see Mr Nahill working at Best Buy in sales? During the night shift. Yea I don't think so.

Latest resources

Back