Days off?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

bugchaser

Can any of you current regional pilots give me some idea of your typical schedules? How many days do you usually get to spend at home? I know it's not much, just wondering what the real deal is. Any of you that are married and have kids at home, how is that working out for you? It looks like the first couple of years can be pretty tough on the family.

At PSA we get 10 days off per month on reserve. Some months I have been used 14 hours/day every day that I'm on reserve. The last six months I've been averaging less than 30 hours of flight per month. So far in January I have only worked seven days, which is great since I live in base.

When I held a senior line as an FO I averaged 13-15 days off per month. Having worked a desk job for several years before this, I can honestly say that even though I'm gone for four days in a row at times, I feel like I have more time at home, and more quality time than when I worked 8-5.

At Comair a minimum of 12 days of in a 31 day Calendar month. If less then it is 11 days off. I have been here for a year I have a 14 day off line worth 90 hours of credit before I even start flying the month.

CHQ is 11 days off min for reserve, 12 days off for a line holder. I was recalled from furlough 2 months ago and I have a 14 day-off line next month. I have one overnight all month...all the other days are out and backs.

Last edited:
at xjet, we have 11 off per month min...reserve/lineholder same ....though most lines are around 13-14 days off...i am bidding in the top 10 percent of fos at ewr and i have 18 days off this month and they are all day trips ( it was 17 days off but with our trip trade system i was able to make it 18)

145EXR said:
at xjet, we have 11 off per month min...reserve/lineholder same ....though most lines are around 13-14 days off...i am bidding in the top 10 percent of fos at ewr and i have 18 days off this month and they are all day trips ( it was 17 days off but with our trip trade system i was able to make it 18)

How easy is it to trade trips with xjet? Can you trade trips online?

Our minimum is 12 days which is what all the reserve lines are built to. We have a lot of commuters so for right now almost all our trips out of ORD have been four day trips with a few stand-up lines. The FO lines average from 13-15 days off with a few at 12 days and some with 16 and a few with 17 days off. I have a 15 day off line for February. We usually work the four day trips with anywhere from 2 to 5 days off in between. Mostly 3 and 4 days off though. Some lines have as many as 6-7 days off in a row. It all depends.

Yes, it's hard the first couple of years. Especially if you commute and make hardly any money. Work for a good company with great piltos, a good contract and QOL and it's not so bad.

bigdave,

yes, we can trade online...we now have a new system...about the middle of the month we have a 24 hr window to trade with all open trips before they build the relief lines (we had about 200 open trips)..then after the build the relief lines we can then start to trade again (starts from the 1st of the month till the end of the month).

I hope some of the ASA'ers are reading this thread to show them we have some of the worst lines in the industry. Most of the people I fly with just do not seem to get that. You have to be almost half way up our list before you see lines with more than 10 days off and more than 75 hours of credit.

at CommutAir, every pilot gets 12 days off per 28 day bid, working 16. sucks for guys with seniority, who would like to have more days off, but not bad for others since 12 is more than some other regionals. every pilot also has to work a predetermined number of hours, which this month is 61-66. that is not much compared to some, too. we don't bid lines of flying, but choose from a pool of trips that includes day trips, 2 days, 3 days, 4 days and stand up overnights. junior guys have to mix in a 6 day block of reserve into their month that they build. some things about are good, but in the end I think it kind of bites.

anyway, at CA you could be home every day if you wanted to by choosing all day trips, or any number of other cominations.

UP

Latest resources

Back