Day trips out of ORD for SKW

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

flyboyzz1

How Sr. are day trips out of ORD for Skywest? Are they hard to bid for a new hire... how long until one can bid these trips?

I didn't bid for it but there's a local on my schedule for next month. I'm towards the bottom of the list there. The most senior trips are the ones that are commutable.

Most of the base commutes so they usually go pretty jr. Commutable 4 days are usually the top preference. If you live in your base your QOL is just soo much better. Nothing beats being home every night, no more crappy hotels,no having to catch a flight to go home.

Just to give you an idea of what life is like as a junior ORD FO.

-1st month. Reserve SLC. 10 days off (standard) Flew close to 75 hours and got paid for over 100. Didn't sit on my butt ONE day at the craspad on reserve.

-2nd month. Reserve ORD. 10 days off (standard) Credit is already up to 115 hours with 2 days at the end of the month still unassigned. This month I've had 5 day crj-700 trips to the west coast that paid 35 hours, locals with one round trip to GRB (about 0:58 block each way) and everything inbetween.

-3rd month (March). Lineholder ORD. 11 days off (min) My schedule has Locals (4:45 block, not great but not bad), standups, 2 days that pay 12 hours, and commutable 4 days that pay 18 hours. I didn't know what the hell I was doing with PBS, so maybe it could have been better, maybe not. I'm content though for sure.

I bid for locals and 2 days and get them no problem! And I'm about two-thirds of the way down the seniority list at ORD. Had no problem getting locals since I started. As a get more senior I get better and better ones and lately had no 4 day trips at all, just locals and two days. I would guess though that a lot of new hires will be going to MKE from now on.

With PBS there is nothing typical, and since folks change their preferences month-to-month (I bounce between stand-ups, three-days and short-four days, and usually never locals, unless they pay over 8). First get in the pool, then get to ORD, then figure out how you're going to make things work. I bid ~37/145 on the CA side, and don't get exactly what I want, but generally get a pretty good line.

March will be my third month flying the line at Skywest and I got 10 days off and 92 hours of credit built for the month and 310hrs TAFB. Looks like 3 hotel nights in Chicago (out of pocket) as of right now. Mostly 4 days trips with a standup in the front of the four day. Just thankful to be off reserve. Typical price for a crash pad is about $200 a month so if you can avoid that it helps since first year pay is what it is.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back