• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Dave Carson of Boeing does not know!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Intuitively speaking(ie, nonscientific) I would guess that one or two cell phones or an Ipad not off or in airplane mode would be likely to have minimal effect on navigation or communication. But for the flight attendants that's not their issue. They have to ensure that FAR's and company policy are followed, and the rule is not to turn the phone off only if you think it could interfere.

Also non-compliance is a much bigger problem than electronic interference.

Last edited:
I am not stressed about the issue. Management will when it starts getting the pax complaints.

There is no reason for the electronics ban. Dave Carson of Boeing says he does not know of a problem but just to be safe we should not do it. Dave does not have an answer.

Open up the cabins electronics and stop the FA's from harassing the paxs.

Just a thought for you. If you think that the flight attendants are harassing folks for using electronics I have a quick fix for you. Just tell them in your briefing that you don't want them to follow that particular FAR. They are after all doing part of your job. The PIC is responsible for ensuring that you are in compliance with applicable FARS. However, your flight attendants must follow PIC instructions relating to the operation of the aircraft. Of course if they feel what you instructed them to do is in conflict with the rules they must report the incident so it could be a short lived fix.

Not trying to be smart. Just saying everyone has a job to do. I understand what you are saying. Sometimes people can be a little rigid with things. This goes for flight attendant and pilots alike.

Directing your flight attendants to not follow FAR's and company policy is a good way to end up fired.

Directing your flight attendants to not follow FAR's and company policy is a good way to end up fired.

You will note I said that the flight attendant would be obligated to report it, thus it would be a short lived fix for you. (meaning you would most likely be fired!) Just trying to put a little humor into something that seems to a real issue for the original poster.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back